Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Have you re-introduced dairy? How did you do it? What happened?

(8 Posts)
Pancakeflipper Fri 02-Sep-11 22:43:46

My 3 yr old has been on a dairy-free diet for about 18months.

We are to introduce dairy in the next month.

I do this with dread as a few months ago he accidently had a couple of spoons of yoghurt and there was a few explosive poos following this and him being not himself

The consultant has suggested we add a measured amount of cows milk to his neocate and gradually increase the percentage of cows milk over the weeks and see how it goes.

If you have gone through the re-introduction of dairy. What did you do? How did it go? What support did you get from your consultant/dietican? If your child reacted badly to the dairy what happened next?

ChocaMum Fri 02-Sep-11 23:45:43

Our DD is 18 mo so we have not beennthrough this yet. But from reading other threads I have got the impression you start of with baked milk before moving onto actual milk. And I would assume if there is any reaction they would tell you to stop it again and try reintroducing in a years time, because a high percentage of children outgrow milk allergies, but it is difficult to say when this happens in each child without challenging them.

simpson Sat 03-Sep-11 21:48:17

my DD is 3 and we have gradually started to introduce dairy to her diet but tbh we have been told to stay off yoghurt and milk for at least another year.

We first started with cooked cheese which she can now tolerate <<yay>> as long as she dos not have it too much.

She is also starting to tolerate cooked milk in shop bought things ie garlic bread, cake, sausage roll, margarine or cake but again not more than once a wk.

We had a hosp appt with dietician a few wks ago who said not to introduce any other foods but to concentrate on getting her to tolerate the cooked cheese, cooked milk more often iyswim.

Also she cannot tolerate milk that I have cooked yet hmm

My cooking is not that bad, honest grin

Pancakeflipper Sun 04-Sep-11 20:36:41

OOh interesting Simpson. Very interesting. Our consultant hasn't said to do cooked milk. Just try the milk in a bottle technique..

So the cooked milk in shops goodies is going ok and you just giving her something once a week?
Can I ask what reaction your daughter has to dairy?

simpson Sun 04-Sep-11 21:34:27

she is not allergic but severely intolerant iyswim.

She has either explosive poos or constipation, if she has a lot of dairy she gets runny nose & generally is very bunged up (gunky eyes etc) she has also had excema in the past which has disappeared since she has been dairy/soya & oats free.

She can tolerate small amounts of shop stuff with dairy in (only in the last 2mths) but literally maybe once a wk and if she is feeling under the weather I stop it totally.

She still cannot tolerate any soya although I have noticed that if she has some (we had an accident a couple of mths ago at wagga mummas blush) the reaction is a lot less.

She used to have symptoms for up to 4wks after eating soya but that last time it only lasted a few days, so there is some progress grin

Not braved it and tried oats yet blush

DD's dietician said to drink milk would probably be the last thing to try when she is tolerating everything else iyswim.

mirosmummy Mon 05-Sep-11 08:17:54

Hi i have just come across your thread by accident and thought of my friend as she is having milk issues with her 2yr boy.
He has always been having diarrhea, asthma, infections then 6mths ago they realised/guessed it was the milk, she seen a dietitian and they put him on some lactose free baby milk and was told to avoid all dairy, lactose and fructose and towards the end of 6mths try too add some small things back to see what happens.
She did and he can eat super noodles, fish-fingers, shortbread which contain a certain amount of milk, and she had been adding a small amount of milk to mashed potatoes, trying to keep this short.
She then seen the dietitian last week and she explained what she had been doing, they agreed it was OK and he was discharged with instruction to give him cows milk more but to boil it before he drinks it.
She has done this with confusing results, she told me last night she done it 2 days ago and she used the boiled milk on weetabix all was OK, then the day after that she gave it to him to drink, he had 2 sips and said it was yuck, then a couple of hours later had diarrhea, what she doesn't understand is how he can have it on cereal with no issues then have a couple of sips and have that, she said it's almost like he's putting it on, but you can't fake diarrhea can you, she is confused and has stopped all dairy again and gone back to the baby milk, which even i think going back to just that after reintroducing all those foods is crazy.
I haven't a clue about this so any ideas please

p.s after stopping dairy the use of inhalers and anti-biotics have almost disappeared, but i am concerned about what people are saying, because she keeps swapping and changing i heard someone say at nursery the other day that she is making him this way and could she have Munchhausen syndrome which i think is really far fetched...any help?

simpson Mon 05-Sep-11 13:20:44

mirosmummy - can't help you much but one of my friends DD (who is 3) cannot drink milk but can have it with her cereal fine although this is after 2yrs of being totally dairy free.

I guess its because its being digested with other things but when its on its own there is more of a reaction iyswim.

My own DD can tolerate small amounts of cooked dairy but it does also depend on how often she has it, atm she can tolerate it maybe once a wk, anymore than that and she has explosive poos etc.

freefrommum Tue 06-Sep-11 15:23:58

I believe the advice is usually to start with biscuits that contain milk as the milk will be baked to a high temperature and therefore less likely to cause a reaction. I certainly wouldn't start with 'raw' milk or yoghurt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now