Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Barrier cream for eczema

(10 Posts)
AngelDog Thu 01-Sep-11 13:55:18

Can anyon suggest some barrier type creams to try for eczema?

20 m.o. DS has it on his face, and eating acidic things (tomatoes, spices, citrus etc) irritates it. We've been told to apply a thick emollient as a barrier then let him eat these things, but I'm not sure which would be worth trying.

His normal emollient is Diprobase ointment (not thick enough to protect his skin from food irritants). We've also tried emulsifying ointment and Epaderm, but both seem to irritate him.

ChocaMum Thu 01-Sep-11 18:07:38

You could try dermal cream or 50:50. Good luck.

AngelDog Thu 01-Sep-11 22:54:22

Thanks. We use Dermol instead of soap, but I'll look into 50:50.

eskimomama Fri 02-Sep-11 14:22:51

I am a fan of Essential care product, they have an organic soothing salve free of all usual irritants - works well with my DD when her eczema is bad.

AngelDog Fri 02-Sep-11 23:05:51

Ooh, I'd not heard of them - I'll have a look, thanks.

wellymelly Fri 02-Sep-11 23:44:57

friend's DD reduced/ eliminated dairy from her diet and it improved so much - pretty much disappeared - but after a while started creeping back to a much lesser degree. If you do live in a hard water area then consider a water softener. Hard water makes detergent less efficient therefore use a lot more than in soft water areas. My other (adult) friend has water softener, which costs a bit initially but makes the cost of running a washing machine/ dishwasher/ shower lower due to reduced detergent and less clogging up. Her ezcema has dramatically improved. ALternatively, a piece of advice my Dad passed on after he had visited a dermatologist for early skin cancer. This very unusual doctor told him that we wash far too much - and consequently wash away all the natural oils in the skin, soap being particularly bad for this. Avoid anything antibacterial, (cleaning products) in the house - it gets into everyone's system and is really bad for you. Use a base massage oil daily on the skin - something like sweet almond oil - which is light - but only use a tiny amount - rub hands together to warm and rub into skin to moisturise - or pour a capful into a shallow warm bath and soak without soap...then apply a barrier cream over the top at night, if that is what you have been advised to do. If you use an oil - avoid mineral oils like baby oil as do not get absorbed by the skin easily. Hope this helps...most doctors, in my experience suggest steroid cream instead, but this is worth a try..if you haven't already!

wellymelly Fri 02-Sep-11 23:49:15

sorry just realised that I hadn't read the original note properly! Got bit carried away with answer.

AngelDog Tue 06-Sep-11 23:06:13

Sorry, I read this but had to rush off & forgot to pop back. Thanks for posting. smile

Jostones Thu 08-Sep-11 22:41:01

Emulsifying Lotion is brilliant as a barrier cream. We use it on our ds's chin before he eats (and to stop his dribble making his redness worse). It is really thick and waxy so acts as a great barrier. We have in presription but you can buy it too.

Jostones Thu 08-Sep-11 22:43:05

Just re-read your message, guess emulsifying lotion is out then! I'm afraid I don't know any others thick enough to be a barrier cream

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now