Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

first day in reception

(12 Posts)
babybarrister Thu 01-Sep-11 07:19:13

DS started yesterday - all fine and he is eating at school as well! had talk with cook, nurse, class teacher and head teacher the day before and had sent in letters from consultant and brought in info from anaphylaxis campaign, UK Resuscitation Council Anaphylaxis Guidelines, old epipen, etc etc

DS will not in fact have to carry his own stuff grin and they invited me to bring a treat box in which I have done - so all GOOD, GOOD news so far!!

I may have slipped into conversation that I am currently pursuing a local restaurant with a view to prosecution grin

lukewarmmama Thu 01-Sep-11 10:13:03

Very glad to hear it! Hard enough starting school without him having to worry about his own meds and feeling excluded as well.

It'll be DD1's turn next year (would have been this year if she'd been born 18 hours earlier!), I'm getting nervous already.

youarekidding Thu 01-Sep-11 10:27:07

excellent Babybarrister. I'm also proud of your DS for eating there too - especially as his last reaction was so recent.

Love the idea of a treat box.

Ha ha to mentioning the prosecution. smile

I don't even know your DS but he sounds such a character from your decriptions of him.

wine cheers to a happy time at school. grin

auntevil Thu 01-Sep-11 11:59:11

smile for school. Hopefully the restaurant aside will keep them on their toes for a long long time - at least 7 years (if it's a primary!) grin

mintyneb Tue 13-Sep-11 09:36:03

ok, so not a great start for us in reception - admin-wise that is.

I had a long meeting with the school last term to talk through all of DDs needs including her milk allergy and even typed up a description of how she seems to react plus the course of action I wanted them to take in case of a reaction. I also took along two sample anaphylaxis protocols, one from the Anaphylaxis campaign and the other from the Blossom website produced by Allergy UK.

Over the summer I emailed them a copy of the document we had talked through so that they could copy and paste it into the protocol leaving me to just check and sign it at the start of term.

Yesterday was DDs first day and her teacher gave me a document to take home and sign. Imagine my surprise when I saw it was just a generic protocol that hadn't even got her name typed on the front! It also had sections saying such as "in the event of(name) needing (name of prescription)" etc! Oh and a blank space for parents to fill in background details.

So I queried the teacher this morning and she said oh this is the standard form we use for epi pens in the school and once you've signed it we send it back to the office and they will fill in all the other details shock. Needless to say I told her that I didn't feel confident that the form as it stood would tell anyone what to do when DD reacted and I didn't want to sign it until its complete.

I've probably labelled myself now as a difficult mum but hey ho. Why can't schools get things right especially after putting in loads of effort to help them do their job?

thank god I packed a bag of packets of dairy free chocolate buttons for the teacher to keep in case sweets/chocolate were brought into class. yesterday was someones birthday and there he was at the door handing out bags of chocolates to all the children as they were leaving! DD was very happy that her teacher had thought to get dairy free buttons for her smile

Weta Tue 13-Sep-11 10:27:49

BB that is great news!! glad the start to school is going well for you.

Mintyneb that is a pain, but it may well just be a question of raising their awareness. I wouldn't worry about being labelled as difficult - just remain calm and polite and helpful (as far as possible! unless they are really being obstructive of course) and I'm sure it will get sorted and then you can just behave like a normal mum most of the time smile

From your DD's perspective the dairy free buttons are probably far more important anyway!! and that means her first few days have gone well and she feels included etc.

mintyneb Tue 13-Sep-11 11:18:35

you're right Weta, it just gets to me that I feel like I'm constantly having to fight (as I know we all do) to get things done right for DD.

The chocolate incident made me want to cry (don't forget I had 1st day at school emotions going on!) when it brought home to me how an innocent act that forms part of normal childhood and that every other child takes for granted could potentially kill DD sad. Luckily DD had no idea of this turmoil in my head and as you say felt no different to any other child!

Another hour to go and then I'll be off to collect her at lunchtime and hopefully she'll be chatting all the way home about the great time she's had! The real test will be on Thursday when she does her first full day and the school have to manage her regular lunchtime medication and keep her away from flying yoghurts and cheese straws etc

Unlike you BB, I'm not brave enough to put her down for school meals yet, I feel I need to build up trust first before I face that fear. Hope your DS is still getting on well though

ChocaMum Tue 13-Sep-11 13:48:49

Good luck for Thursday mintyneb. It is so exhausting and so emotional having to fight all the time. I really wish people could just understand we are not being difficult because we want to be, but because we know our dc's life is in danger unless we emphasise to others how careful they have to be. I've been going through an exhausting few weeks of arguments with in laws about DD's allergies so I know how you're feeling at the moment, especially when you look at seemingly normal events and having to worryb about life threatening reactions instead. I really hope your DD gets on ok on Thursday, fingers crossed for you.

Weta Tue 13-Sep-11 14:25:30

Oh I do understand and sympathise mintyneb, don't worry!

We don't have the option of dairy-free school meals so at least that's one less dilemma I guess...

Actually having DS2 with no allergies has really brought it home to me how much extra stress and worry and work it is having an allergic child. DS2 has just turned 4 and it's all so easy - birthday parties, school meals etc, I just turn up and he eats whatever he's given. No endless meetings or contacting parents who are hosting parties etc.

Will be thinking of you on Thursday! let us know how it goes.

babybarrister Wed 14-Sep-11 13:09:32

that is rubbish - give them a copy of the UK Resuscitation Council Guidelines on Anaphylaxis - made them read it as it has a very good description of symtoms at page 14.

whenwillisleepagain Thu 15-Sep-11 22:24:45

My DS starts Reception tomorrow, having been at nursery for 4 years. He's allergic to fish, nuts and eggs. Usually giving him piriton stops problems in their tracks, but he did once have a reaction at nursery that resulted in them using the epipen. That was three years ago and apart from a few hiccups, life has been quiet since then.

I went into school yesterday as the school nurse was giving epipen training to relevant staff, so I joined in and was able to talk about DS's specific situation. My only disappointment was that they'd like him to have packed lunch to start with. I resisted this at first on basis it will set him apart and has never even been mentioned at nursery. Anyway we have agreed that it's prudent just to see how he gets on in the classroom and switch to school lunch quite soon. The school nurse rang me today to agree a personalised care plan. So far so good I think.

tonight I'm swirling around with pre-school nerves added to having to deal with allergies in a new environment. I found this thread really helpful - thank you and good luck to you all.

mintyneb Fri 16-Sep-11 09:33:19

hope all goes well for your DS whenwill, its nervewracking enough sending your child off to school for the first time without having allergies to deal with.

Well, things have definitely improved at my DD's school. When I went in on Wednesday morning I was cornered by the Assistant Head who wanted to talk to me about 'the form'. Now already she makes me feel like a ten year old again so i was preparing myself for a fight but they had taken all the information I had given them and added it to the standard form. All in all, it was OK for me to sign and then the AH confirmed that DD had been discussed at the staff meeting that morning, her details were on the virtual staffroom system they use and the dinner ladies had all been told.

When I asked how in reality they would manage her allergy at lunchtime, she said that either DD's teacher or the senco would sit with her at the table and if for some reason neither of them were around, another person in the know would be with her. They would surround her with other children who they knew wouldn't be having dairy in their lunches.

they also confirmed that the adult sitting with her would have her piriton and epi pen with them in their bag so that it was close at hand.

Roll onto yesterday, everything went fine! the senco even rang me at 1pm to say that lunch had gone well and that DD was out playing. Some of her friends had eaten yoghurts for lunch so they had got them to wash their hands afterwards

Oh and there was yet another birthday in the class with more sweets and chocolates being given out so DD was happy to get more buttons to have on the way home smile

Provided the school keep up this level of vigilence and its not just the enthusiasm of the first week (not that I'm cynical!) then I guess I can try and relax a little

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now