Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Best EVER consultant visit. A 'I'm happy' update.

(13 Posts)
youarekidding Thu 25-Aug-11 14:38:23

grin

So DS now 7yo, had allergic reactions, then got slightly worse and had a few episodes with quietness/ feeling faint, swollen lips culminating in the 'big' reaction last November.

Saw Cons Pead in Feb and prescribed epi-pens, apart form April when DS was really bad with hayfever he has been very well for a good few months. No AH daily or for treatment.

Negative for raised IgE and all RAST tests.

Cons Pead is thrilled with DS, has signed him off and referred back to GP care. If DS continues to show no bad allergic response (not hayfever but to other things) he will eventually be classed an non anaphylatic risk and we won't need epi-pens. grin
She said that sometimes the bodies immune system becomes compromised and that can cause problems (eg random allergic response) and the test for some protein (or something) in the blood that can cause spontanious reaction was negative.

So all good.

<and sorry for those of you who are having a rough time and whose DC's suffer badly> but I know how lovely you ladies are and will share in the joy as well as the downs.

auntevil Thu 25-Aug-11 16:33:47

Good stories are welcome as it shows that there can be light at the end of the tunnel. How many times have you seen a thread that asks if they will grow out of it.
I bet you and DS are soooooo happy. congratulations .smile

garliclover Thu 25-Aug-11 17:28:52

That's wonderful news, youarekidding! Sounds like you deserve a rest from the worry, from what I have gathered from your other posts since I joined this discussion board. As someone who is just about to enter the world of epipens, I'm so glad to hear that there can be light at the end of the tunnel. Congratulations!

youarekidding Thu 25-Aug-11 17:56:10

Thing is DS allergies aren't normal run of the mill. He isn't food allergic, does react to ketchup but not tomatoes, suffers hayfever but not grass pollen and has a normal IgE despite having reactions and one severe one.

I have spent months worrying when he would react, if he would, not really knowing where we stand as there is nothing to avoid as such. Which is stupid as he's been in the best health he has for years!!

We are not in the clear yet, it's only been 9 months since his bad reaction and 3 months since he had puriton due to hives. BUT the worrying symptoms of anaphylaxis have been dormant for 9 months. IF we can keep them that way for the forseeable future with all the negative allergy tests he can be classed as having as much risk as Joe Bloggs next door.

ChocaMum Thu 25-Aug-11 20:58:12

That's great news, so good to hear a happy story. Really hope the good news continues and no more scary reactions.

trixymalixy Thu 25-Aug-11 21:38:36

Yay, we do like to hear good news!!

shouldbeelswhere Thu 25-Aug-11 21:59:58

fantastic news, what a relief for you smile

babybarrister Fri 26-Aug-11 08:23:55

great news - yes we do like a good news story on here as we do not have enough!!!

I also thought it was actually a rather nice response from the OP re her questioning of her neighbour's allergies .,...

youarekidding Fri 26-Aug-11 08:40:41

Yes I agree, have just read it. You said some great things on that thread. I love the way you describe 'real' anaphylaxis. I have always felt like a fraud with the way DS allergies have presented. It's been very hard explaining it's unknown - the reactions however are very real (and I have photographic evidence blush).

I'm sure I'll get more hmm looks in a year or 2 if we continue to move forward and suddenly DS no longer needs/ has an epi-pen.

I'll never know why someone with allergies is only taken seriously/ believed when someone see's the reaction or if they are allergic to nuts.

I really think the NHS need to invest more money in education re allergies.

Weta Fri 26-Aug-11 10:37:05

That is so good to hear! especially as I think it is a whole lot more worrying when you don't really know what it is that will trigger it...

greenbananas Fri 26-Aug-11 11:19:11

That's brilliant! smile smile grin

youarekidding, whenever I get a bit stressed by managing DS's food allergies, I think of you and how hard it must be to not even know what has caused your DS's reactions. Remembering your situation is one of the ways in which I cope with mine.

I can't even begin to tell you how happy I am that you've had this good news.

youarekidding Sat 10-Sep-11 21:47:05

I have had a copy of the letter to GP from Pead Cons.

It is lovely and says how pleased she was to see DS so well (and looking well hmm) grin

She has said epi-pens to reviewed yearly but she suggests he has them for a few years. Might have got a bit excited there and jumped then gun! Shows how you hear what you want to. blush

The blood tests have come back and show levels of Eosinophil are raised 'still'. confused I didn't know they were! Have spoken to GP and apparently they have been raised in each blood test (all 3) and show 'allergic disease'. This could be the hayfever but it's this that means she wants him to have the epi-pens for a while as it's hard to judge what reactions he may have - beyond the normal hayfever.

So all good with DS health generally but still something 'going on'.

ChocaMum Tue 13-Sep-11 13:30:55

I'm glad the letter is so lovely and encouraging. I think it must take some time for bodies to completely get rid of the allergy thing so it just feels sensible to keep the epipens for a bit longer. Anyway so glad things are getting easier for you, finally!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now