Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Help! Stupidly forgot to buy a pouch for epipen and going to be in 35C+ for 12 days...

(7 Posts)
RoseC Wed 24-Aug-11 16:32:46

...does anybody have any ideas how I can keep the pen at a reasonable temperature please? I've called the airport pharmacy (we fly tomorrow morning but are driving down in 1hr30) but they don't stock them any more. I do have to go to Tesco before we leave - would a v small cool bag (minus ice blocks) insulate the pen from the heat please?

I feel like such an idiot blush What would happen if the pen got overheated? Would it still work at a lower efficiency? Any advice gratefully received!

shouldbeelswhere Wed 24-Aug-11 20:34:53

I'd stick it in a cool bag and hope for the best. We took ours in one of those yellow medical school bags, insulated but not sure how much. I guess anything is better than nothing. Have a fab hol smile

topiarygal Wed 24-Aug-11 20:40:54

thermosflask - someone told me about this and it's genius! I now keep a set of out of date ones in a thermos in our car and they are doing fine!
If it helps, ours survived fine at these temps for 2 weeks recently
Enjoy the heat!

alibubbles Thu 25-Aug-11 10:07:56

I have to say, DD has had epipens for 14 years and travelled all over the world and lived out of a back pack for weeks in 40c it never occurred to her or me, to keep them cool!

Thankfully never had to use one, but the one that fired into my thumb that was 5 years old and well travelled, worked fine, as I had to stay in hospital for 2 days! (Another story!)

babybarrister Thu 25-Aug-11 11:15:41

liking the thumb story grin - and clearly shows that they work. we have just come back from Cyprus - it was about 32 I think and yes the epipen in a normal rucksack was fine as we had to use it and it worked!!! do make sure you carry lots though as somewhat surprisingly they were not available in Cyprus - or at least the doctor that saw us had never seen one before hmm. Just keep them in the shade I think and it will be fine

youarekidding Thu 25-Aug-11 22:28:14

Get a FRIO pouch from the pharmacy. They can be put in water and makes the gel go cold and hard and keeps them cold.

RoseC Mon 05-Sep-11 11:51:25

Thanks everyone - in the end I took a t-shirt and chilled the shirt in the fridge, wrapped it around the pen and stuck it next to my bottle of water. I think it worked fine. For the hottest weather (42C, even in shade) I left the pen in the room as then we were at a resort and had DP primed to run back if necessary grin

We had a great time and I only had to take a neoclarytin once, despite gorging myself on local food, so am definitely going back there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now