Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Using Nutramigen as an ingredient in cooking

(7 Posts)
mimmymouse Fri 19-Aug-11 12:53:56

Hello!

My 8 mth old EBF DD has a CMPA, egg and nut allergies too. (Lucky girl.) Up until now, we've avoided dairy in food altogether and used expressed breast milk on her porridge.

However, following a chat with the dietician, I was given prescription for Nutramigen to use instead of milk in cooking. (I'm happy to keep breastfeeding her and have no intention of using it as a breast milk substitute.)

My question is to do with the hardiness of the Nutramigen. Is it okay to simply substitute it where recipes call for milk? And will it freeze and reheat just like normal milk? And have you found that you need to alter amounts?

Dietician has encouraged me to make DD custard using the formula; rice pudding and other recipes where you would use milk. Recommended recipes for her age would be most welcome. (Or links to sites.)

One final question: dietician didn't say anything about giving DD Sheep's cheese. Have any other CMPA babies reacted to it?

Many, many thanks

munkiii Fri 19-Aug-11 18:17:32

Hi there

My 8 month old has CMPA too. I tend to add the Nutramigen 'fresh' to my pre frozen portions. I just make up a couple of fluid oz and add it until the consistency looks about right.

I make apricot rice pudding with 50g risotto rice add 500ml water simmer for 10 mins, then add 74g apricots and cook for a further 15 mins. Freeze your portions down and add fresh formula to your liking.

Also works to think soups and so on.

Have they given you the Nurtramigen 2? It has more calcium in it and is more suitable for this stage.

The book I use for most of her food is this

It has a lot of diary free in it and things that can be adapted.

As I say I have never frozen/reheated the Nutramigen as I don't like the idea of it ( I worry about bacteria and so on.... but that is my training perhaps.. been on too many courses!)

HTH.

munkiii Fri 19-Aug-11 18:18:55

Oh and if you find out about the Sheep's cheese let me know! But (I am sure you know this) don't go for the soya substitutes as soya allergy can go hand in hand with CMPA.

I am due to challenge DD with dairy when she is 9 months.... eek!

babybarrister Fri 19-Aug-11 18:38:50

re sheep - I would not try this - we tried goat - disaster - apparently most of the mammalian milk protein molecules are similar

mimmymouse Fri 19-Aug-11 18:54:17

Marvellous help -- thanks to you both. I had suspected adding milk substitute at that last moment was probably preferable. Was just hoping it might be okay in a mixture if it was a small component -- say, a couple of tablespoons but it is probably not worth the risk. Rice pudding sounds good!

I did know about soya (though we were advised to try it and DD did some spectacular pooing) but not about sheep's cheese being unsuitable. Thank you!

munkiii Fri 19-Aug-11 19:31:29

Glad to help, I found that the Crazy Jack apricots work well (they have no Sulphur Dioxide in them) and you can get them in good old Sainsburys! If you find some good recipies please share!

mimmymouse Sun 21-Aug-11 07:36:17

Munkiii, I'll look out for those apricots. My LO absolutely loves apricots, but I get bored of changing her pooey nappies.

I used the nutramigen yesterday in a custard into which I mashed some banana. It went down a treat. She ate more of it than I expected. I halved the recipe and it was still way too much, so I'll quarter it next time. I think that risotto is going to be popular! I've found a recipe for vegetable risotto on the pure website. Pure It looks a handy site - not just for DD, but for other family members and friends on restricted diets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now