Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

could you please talk to me about working out which allergy?

(4 Posts)
LoopyLoopsTootyFroots Thu 18-Aug-11 09:20:58

DD (10 weeks) has been very snuffly since she came home from the hospital. She did have a cold, but that went a while ago, however the breathing issues haven't.
She seems to be worse at night and in the morning, and my bed in particular seems to make her worse. I've obviously thought it might be dust and have tried to eliminate that as much as possible. We've been camping a few times and it was quite bad once returning, so I've considered pollen. I hadn't though about it until the HV suggested it, but it could be cats. sad How do I know which it is, and what should I do?

I've booked a GP appointment for tomorrow.

garliclover Thu 18-Aug-11 15:58:37

From what I have learnt about allergies over the past year, it seems very unlikely that your DD has an allergy to pollen, dustmites, pets, or any other airborne allergens, as it takes a while for babies to become sensitised to them. It is even more unlikely if there is no history of allergy in your family (but you don't mention whether there is...).

Also, such allergies are normally accompanied by eczema, which in atopic babies usually becomes apparent at your DD's age. If she has absolutely no signs of eczema, then I would try not to worry about allergies at all. As for food allergies, you would probably have detected other symptoms such as reflux or other digestive problems.

Colds can linger on in babies for absolutely ages: it may be nothing more serious than that....

LoopyLoopsTootyFroots Thu 18-Aug-11 17:34:46

Oh I really hope so!

No allergies in either side of the family, and no eczema, so that sounds positive.

Thanks smile

garliclover Thu 18-Aug-11 18:36:39

Great that no allergies in your families -- you're probably safe! I used to worry for ages about snuffles in my DS but even though he does have food allergies, his snuffles are just the remains of colds that go on for ever!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now