Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Buffets - a date with disaster ....

(9 Posts)
babybarrister Mon 15-Aug-11 17:19:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

greenbananas Mon 15-Aug-11 17:57:09

Oh no sad sad sad - you have had so many really unlucky reactions. Not fair and not your fault. So glad he is okay - hope you are okay too.

You fully deserve your glass of wine (I think that in your position I would be having a fair few of them!)

I think you're right about avoiding buffets, and I have never dared to risk one (e.g. when I looked at the salad buffet in Pizza Hut, somebody had dripped tiny bits of potato salad into the lettuce). Even if the people in the kitchen are careful, there is probably a big chance that a careless customer will cross contaminate the food.

So impressed that you carry prednisolone when you are travelling abroad (wow! that is so prepared!) Best wishes for a reaction-free rest of holiday.

Weta Mon 15-Aug-11 18:56:08

How scary for you - glad he is ok! I know you are braver than me about eating out, but I guess there are things you'll learn along the way about managing the risk and knowing when cross-contamination is more likely. Sounds like you kept very cool in any case!

We had a reaction on holiday this year too - went to a car-free island off the coast of France and then on the first night DS1 had to be evacuated by boat at midnight to a hospital on the mainland, though of course he was absolutely fine by the time he arrived.

babybarrister Tue 16-Aug-11 07:43:26

auntevil Tue 16-Aug-11 08:45:54

Must admit, I wouldn't even consider a holiday that wasn't self catering. Very brave and very organised babybarrister.

Likeaninjanow Tue 16-Aug-11 11:12:09

Oh no Babybarrister sad. Poor you and poor little DS. Sounds like you coped amazingly well though! That's a very well deserved wine if ever there was one!

Weta - the midnight evacuation sounds very scary also!

We didn't go abroad this year, but DS1 was quite disappointed and it's really not fair to limit his experiences because I'm scared of DS2 having a reaction. We've done it once, but I was fairly stressed the entire time we were there. <wonders if I can get valium or something to help>

youarekidding Tue 16-Aug-11 11:28:41

Oh no!!

Glad all OK - I do have visions of you in an orange cape halfway up a mountain playing DR. I really can't believe the DR didn't know what an epi-pen is.

Actually I can, after DS father gave 5 minutes of his year day up a few months ago to remember he has a son to call I asked him if there were any allergies in his family. Apparently he was taken to hospital 3 times as a child with swelling to face and breathing difficulties and never had anything prescribed - except an inhaler after the 2nd time. shock This was Tenerife.

Well back to you - here's some good maths, mountain + epi-pen = wine wine wine wine wine so get them down your neck girl. grin

I like the idea of predisilone handy. DS never needed epi-pen but would certainly ask about it if the need arose.

Glad DS is unscathed by it and wish you a relaxing holiday and flight home.

babybarrister Tue 16-Aug-11 13:26:59

Weta Wed 17-Aug-11 11:44:55

Actually ours probably wasn't as terrifying as it sounds... DH is French and we lived there for years so do feel at home there, and I had been freaked out about the island so I'd ascertained that they had emergency helicopters and boats available, plus a fire brigade on site with oxygen and medical training. And I sent DH to do the evacuation and overnight hospital duty this time - his first time! actually we offered DS the choice of which parent he wanted.

But while the firemen were there deciding whether to evacuate him, we of course weren't looking after DS2 (nearly 4) properly and he clambered up to the top bunk and fell off onto his head - almighty thump on the floor, lots of tears and the firemen concerned about his safety smile

We always carry prednisolone and in every allergic reaction we have had to use it along with antihistamine (haven't given epipen although probably should have on one or two occasions).

Likeaninjanow - maybe you can try to find places that will be easier for you but will keep DS1 happy? We pretty much limit ourselves to places we speak the language, and go self-catering as it gives us control of the food.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now