Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Soya milk

(5 Posts)
Clara35 Mon 15-Aug-11 17:04:14

Can anyone give a bit of advice on soya milk. My ds is 3 & when younger we were told to give oatly as his alternative milk. We were told not to give soya milk but is it ok now he is older to use soya as i remember them saying its not for younger babies. Nowhere in my town sells oatly so if I run out it's more hassle to get hold of. I give soya yoghurts occasionally so I know he's ok with soya.

greenbananas Mon 15-Aug-11 18:26:29

I hear what you are saying about Oatly - it can also be hard to source if you live in a small town (it is also about twice the price of soya milk). I use soya milk for cooking sometimes, but not as a main drink.

One of the problems with soya is that children who have problems with cow's milk often have problems with soya too (I think the proteins are fairly similar).

harverina Mon 15-Aug-11 19:53:37

My dd is 16 months and has organic soya as her main drink...well along with two breastfeeds per day! Our consultant said not to use it before she was 1. She told us to switch to it at our last appointment. Hth.

babybarrister Tue 16-Aug-11 13:56:03

soya not meant to be great for boys in particular due to oestrogen levels - we use some soya but mainly Oatly and also Oatly 'cream' for cooking which is v good. Oatly also does chocolate milk which is fab ....

alternatives are rice milk [though also concerns re arsenic!!!]

or coconut milk enriched with calcium [Kara] - all of these are no doubt more expensive than soya

Clara35 Tue 16-Aug-11 20:58:14

Thanks everyone. Will just stick to oatly I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now