Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Do you only get allergies at night? how to stop this?

(4 Posts)
titferbrains Thu 11-Aug-11 22:46:10

I am considering getting a silk filled pillow as I keep getting allergies at night - if I have to wake up in the middle of the night to check dd or go to loo, I often start sneezing and then itchy runny nose can keep me up for over an hour. I try to take Piriton as soon as I feel the itch but it can take a while for it to kick in, while I'm sneezing and blowing my nose and trying to relieve stuffiness etc.

I get really hot at night so am reluctant to go for a pillow with no natural fibres - I hate having a hot face at night! Not tried a hypo-allergenic pillow tho so don't know if they are quite cool or not. I have a feather pillow and much prefer the way it feels to any kind of hollow fibre.

Had a bad night last night and so really want to get this problem sorted now. Am going to take piriton before I go to sleep tonight in an effort to beat it!

McDreamy Thu 11-Aug-11 22:47:39

I would definitely start with your bedding. Feather pillows could be causing this.

Beamur Thu 11-Aug-11 22:49:04

I reckon the feather pillow is the problem.
I've switched to some kind of support pillow, might be latex? My feather pillow (sooo nice and comfy) just made me permanently bunged up.
Keep your bedroom as clean as possible too, vaccuum the mattress and if you can put your pillows in the freezer to kill off dust mites.

ggirl Thu 11-Aug-11 23:39:52

you need Beconase nasal spray, get in any chemist
i get really itchy ears and throat at night
this helps a lot
takes a few days to work though

I have foam pillow ,and anti -allergy duvet and still get it, must be my dust riddled bedroom grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now