Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Planes, trains and automobiles

(8 Posts)
babybarrister Mon 08-Aug-11 20:57:12

well actually just planes ....

Nul points to Gatwick airport - made me open a plastic tub of baked beans to "try" which I was only carrying as an emergency backup [as we do] in case of delay somewhere unknown. I had to taste the buggers too which I loathe, in order to make sure they were not bombs
result - open tub of baked beans which went in the bin as DS did not want to eat them at that stage ....
This is despite the fact I showed them comprehensive letters from consultant including a "travel plan" indicating we had to travel with lots of food

Golden raspberry to the Yob on Monarch airlines - message over tannoy when we took off "can passengers please refrain from eating nuts as we have a nut allergy sufferer aboard" [I have no idea whether this was a reference to us or to someone else as I cannot remember if I told them or not] who shouted "selfish bastard" shock. well bad luck to him that he had protective mother in front of him who turned round to "explain" that the sufferer was DS and who happened to have a leaflet from the Anaphylaxis Campaign with her which he refused to accept "I will not be patronised" hmm !

Gold star though to MIL who not only has made some great [cmp and egg free etc ] sorbets for DS but has also sourced some cones [no CMP, no egg, no nuts etc etc] which is the first time he has ever had ice cream in a cone sad and which of course he loved smile

Happy holidays!

freefrommum Tue 09-Aug-11 08:40:54

Big smiley for MIL enabling first ever ice cream cone smile. But the rest was very depressing. We're off to Spain next Tuesday and I always dread going through security as I worry about being challenged re: medicine, epi-pens, food etc - I am always clutching DS's letter from the consultant and can literally feel the adrenaline pumping through my body I'm so stressed! It all went really well last time we went (Easter time) so I'm hoping it will again this time as we're flying from same airport (Bristol) with same airline (EasyJet). Fingers crossed. I just can't believe that people can be as ignorant, selfish and down right rude as the guy on your plane. What is wrong with these people?

greenbananas Tue 09-Aug-11 09:16:05

Wow - where did your MIL find the ices cream cones? I have been looking for some for ages!!

That horrible man on your plane is shock shock shock and I don't know how you kept your cool! I suppose being as ignorant and selfish as that is kind of its own punishment...

(actually, it sounds so incredibly rude and inappropriate that I wonder if he had some sort of mental health issue - there is a guy living opposite my house who used to make a habit of shouting awful things, really loudly in the street, but he has been fine since his medication has been sorted out.)

Likeaninjanow Tue 09-Aug-11 14:24:12

That man sounds like an utter twat! You would think that, on finding out you were protecting a young child, he would have been ashamed of himself!

babybarrister Wed 10-Aug-11 10:39:36

no shame at all - just a twat who no doubt would have been out looting if he had been in the UK!- then I worked out who his "loving mum" was - and it all made sense [she was haranging some poor air steward, telling him he was being rude -hmm]

sadly cones are from Cyprus - I do find in general that southern europe is a lot easier for avoiding dairy - having said that we went to an Italian last night and I had to nip out to a supermarket to buy dry pasta as they only had the fresh stuff with egg ...DS also could not eat the bolognese as it had celery but to be fair to them they made him a nice tomato sauce instead - everything is doable, just a little more effort - mummy says through rictus grin

should also have added MIL got further gold star for sending dog to kennels [as otherwise we were not coming!] -thankfully we have had no problems with any residual hair/dander

mintyneb Thu 11-Aug-11 19:45:07

aarghh, there's always one, babybarrister! well done for standing up to him even though it sounds like your words fell on deaf ears.

glad to hear you are managing on holiday and MIL is earning a few stars smile

anyone after icecream cones, I think Sainsburys sell some made by a company called Carousel. Not sure if they are with the usual wafers/cones or in the free from section but I'm sure that's where I got them! Another place is Lidl, which sell a dairy free waffle type cone. I bought a box there about a month ago but not sure if its a permanent stock item or one of their specials that they bring in now and then

they do exist in the Uk so good luck hunting them down. DD loves being able to have an icecream cone like all her friends smile

youarekidding Thu 11-Aug-11 19:57:05

Sorry but I did LOL at 'baked bean bomb' grin

This is what gets me though, you do plans for this that and everything else and someone somewhere thinks you do it for fun. hmm

I love the idea of you handing this guy a leaflet, it usually shuts people like this up when they get a calm reaction. I'm surprised he didn't get the wet fish or epi-pen up his bum though. wink

Oh and great to hear MIL is trying so hard and are the local people, it restores your faith doesn't it.

I am going to Aldi/ lidl/ Sainbos to get stuff for DS birthday. I'll check Aldi/Lidl for cones and report back.

youarekidding Fri 12-Aug-11 00:08:00

And now I can't get an orange cape with baked bean style spots on it out of my mind. grin

We could be on to something here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now