Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Breakfast ideas for a CMP and egg allergic toddler...

(13 Posts)
eskimomama Mon 08-Aug-11 13:51:13

Hello all
I'm running out of ideas to feed my 22 mo DD a nice & easy breakfast. She's allergic to cows milk protein, eggs, hazelnut and almonds. Also a kind of reluctant eater when it comes to chunky bits in the morning. She will have a bit of biscuit or bread, but not a full plate of chunky fruit bits for instance.

So far I've made her porridge with stewed fruits and instant oats/spelt sometimes with oat milk, varying the fruits every couple days - she loves berries but getting real bored of apple/tasteless porridge combinations...and I dont blame her!
I'd like to avoid any unhealthy/easy options like jam for now, that she's too little to ask for it... yes, I'm a healthy food freak!

Any ideas would be very welcome! thanks in advance

RunsWithScissors Mon 08-Aug-11 13:53:07

My DD has same allergies. She loves alpro soya yogurts. Come in a variety of flavours (including berries!)

eskimomama Mon 08-Aug-11 13:57:41

Thanks - what do you serve with them? is she ok feeding herself soy yoghurts? Mine is a bit messy grin)

greenbananas Mon 08-Aug-11 15:09:46

I tend to only ever do bread-based stuff for breakfast blush mostly toast and crumpets. Occasionally I make vegan pancakes (whisk up a cup of plain flour, 2tsp baking powder, 1tbsp caster sugar, 1 cup soya milk and 2-3tbsp oil then drop large spoonfuls in an oiled frying pan and cook both sides until golden)

alison222 Mon 08-Aug-11 15:14:05

crumpets or toast here too or breakfast cereal ( can you use sweetened soy milk?) DS just told me he wants to try for a whole unbroken year of crumpets for breakfast (he disgustingly eats them with sugar and lemon juice). Don't think we will be able to get them in France so he will be disappointed smile

eskimomama Mon 08-Aug-11 15:59:38

I can confirm - no crumpets in France!
Greenbananas I've seen that recipe for vegan pancakes for months now but always been skeptical about how they turn out.... are they really ok??
I stopped counting the vegan cakes failures I've had!

alison222 Mon 08-Aug-11 16:15:11

I have a couple of vegan cakes we make regularly that are not too bad. - I bought a book called baking without eggs which has quite a few - some more successful than others, and a good carrot cake one that I make quite regularly.
I still haven't managed the pancakes well yet though - one better recipie is for staffordshire oatcakes - substitute the milk with soya or rice milk.

greenbananas Mon 08-Aug-11 16:57:53

eskimomama, the vegan 'pancakes' are not amazing, but they're pretty good. They're not really what I used to think of as pancakes - more like the 10cm circular 'drop-scones' my mum used to make.

No crumpets in France shock!!! I suppose they are a very English thing.
I would really miss crumpets if I moved to France....

eskimomama Mon 08-Aug-11 17:14:05

I know, DH is thinking of making them himself. Cant wait. wink
Same for oatcakes (thanks for reminding me alison!), I had the most amazing dairy/egg free oatcakes in the Lake district last year, it was like my pancake fantasy came true (I'm BF my DD therefore also on an egg/dairy free diet).
Will def try to make them myself.

babybarrister Mon 08-Aug-11 20:39:29

agree with all above - not all crumpets will do the trick though as some have butter ....

I also do lots of savoury things such as fish fingers, baked beans etc

garliclover Tue 09-Aug-11 15:01:10

How about mixing puffs of millet, rice, quinoa and amaranth as a cereal which your DD can have with soya milk? Not too chunky and quite a lot of protein. You can get the puffs separately from goodnessdirect and make a mix which you can keep in a glass jar...

eskimomama Tue 09-Aug-11 15:39:22

thats actually a great idea garliclover - she loves picking from my cereal bowl, but it usually ends up in a mess and she can't have the nut chunks.
BB I thought there was egg in the batter on fish fingers? am I mistaken?!

thanks all for the suggestions, as always

garliclover Wed 10-Aug-11 09:41:41

Forgot to say that to make it a bit more interesting you can add some Sweet Freedom natural sweetener which is fab -- but if you're a health food freak you probably already know about it! I also use it on DS's rye bread to take the edge off the sourness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now