Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hayfever - in central london - in August?

(6 Posts)
whenwillisleepagain Thu 04-Aug-11 16:37:44

I rarely have hayfever after early July - I'm 43 and have had it since childhood. Always thought that tree pollen was my problem. For the last 2 weeks my nose has been streaming and eyes itching, including ending up with conjunctivitis. I live in about the most urban place possible in the UK but am currently taking antihistamines, which I've never needed to in August. Is there something different about the hayfever season this year due to long dry spring? Just wondering if anyone else has similar problem. The only other cause I can think of is that I'm at home with dcs this summer, but previously at work in buildings with aircon.

SuburbanDream Thu 04-Aug-11 16:39:53

We used to live very central (close to Victoria) and DS1 suffered terribly all summer. I blame the London Plane Trees (and the pollution!). Now we are in the 'burbs he is much better.

kittyspolitti Sun 07-Aug-11 16:20:59

Hi there.

I'm the same. My hay fever usually stops when the school holidays start but this year it's still going strong (in fact I've been sneezing on and off all day today). I've been told it's likely I'm reacting to weed pollen or fungal spores. What ever it is I wish it would stop grin

I'm in London, but not central London - there's definitely something going on with regards to pollen and hayfever. Both me and DS2 are on inhalers for the first time in years (usually mild asthama that's got out of control) I've been off work for the last 3 weeks with a mixture of chest infections, awful hayfever and bad asthma. My GP says that this year has been particularly bad - they're having to prescribe antihistamines and inhalers to people who have never a problem before.

Today's bad - woke up with streaming eyes and a very tight chest. Like kitty I wish it would just stop!

kittyspolitti Sun 07-Aug-11 18:07:02

Funny you should say that MrsDTK but this is the first time in years I've had to have inhalers for asthma. I had them as a child but grew out of my asthma. Apparently not.

whenwillisleepagain Mon 15-Aug-11 08:46:03

thank you all - interesting to hear it's not just me. I'm sure I read some gloomy predictions earlier this year about the dry spring weather being bad news for hayfever sufferers and I guess this is another climate-change-related thing we have to cope with. I'm avoiding the garden in the early evenings as I'm sure something out there is triggering big sneezing. And I've used my inhaler more in the last two months than in the last two years combined.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now