Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does a strawberry allergy mean no strawberry yogurts?

(3 Posts)
MissPenteuth Tue 02-Aug-11 09:05:24

17 mo DD has reacted twice to strawberries, coming out in hives. She eats a lot of yogurts and we have to throw out 1/3 of each pack because they're strawberry flavoured! I've been erring on the side of caution, but is this actually necessary? I'm not even sure if a yogurt would contain enough strawberry to cause a reaction, or if whatever causes the allergy is destroyed in any heat-treatment that might take place.

Can anyone with more knowledge than me advise?

vintageteacups Tue 02-Aug-11 11:48:23

Yoghurts are pasturised so might make a difference - ie: people with orange allergy can sometimes drink orange juice as it's pasturised.

Leave it for a week or so with nothing strawberry and then reintroduce just the strawb yogs and see how she goes.

It may also be an intolerance to whatever chemicals are used to grow the strawbs (unless organic).

I used to eat strawbs and the skin on my tongue would start peeling off! Now though, it doesn't happen and I think it's because I buy 'nice' strawberries. (my mum never used to worry about chemicals on food grin)

MissPenteuth Tue 02-Aug-11 13:24:16

Thanks, I'll try her with a small amount and see what happens.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now