Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

im in a panic and so scared

(22 Posts)
harverina Sat 30-Jul-11 18:52:39

Hi, my dd is almost 16 months old and allergic to milk and eggs. Today she had a reaction...being sick, swollen lower lip, wheezing and hoarse. It happened pretty fast but we phoned an ambulance very fast, before it peaked really. We gave her piriton. As soon as we were in the ambulance my dd was given adrenaline and salbutamol. My dd is being kept in overnight for monitoring because she was given adrenaline. I have just left the hospital and come to my in laws to pack a bag and grab a shower. My dh is at the hospital just now. My dd was ok when I left...running around the ward.

But I'm in a total state of panic. The doc was talking about an epipen but said she would need to speak to the consultants tomorrow...we are not at our local hospital as we are staying with my in laws this weekend.

Im not really sure what to think...my dd has only ever had one other bad reaction when she was 6 months old. I'd say that seemed just as bad but she want given adrenaline...today the paramedics did it straight away without checking oxygen levels etc.

Ah I'm just so scared, sorry.

greenbananas Sat 30-Jul-11 19:13:20

No wonder you are feeling shaky - what a dreadful experience! Sounds like your DD had quite a major reaction but that she is going to be fine. Also that she is now very likely to be prescribed an epipen. I tend to think of the adrenaline as a sort of 'magic bullet' and it's good that your paramendics were so on the ball.

I'm sure you haven't got time to read a long message right now, and just want to send you good thoughts...

freefrommum Sat 30-Jul-11 20:47:54

That's awful, you must be totally shaken up. Being prescribed epipens is a good thing believe me, even if it seems scary and overwhelming right now, you will feel better knowing that you have it just in case it ever happens again. The ambulance crew were right to give adrenaline straight away given the symptoms you prescribed, especially the wheezing. Nobody can say for sure whether or not your DD would have gone into full anaphylactic shock and it's quite possible that she wouldn't have, but it's not worth the risk. The sooner the adrenaline is given, the better the outcome. Right now you need to give yourself time to get your head around it all and get some much needed rest.

babybarrister Sat 30-Jul-11 21:57:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ivortheengine8 Sat 30-Jul-11 22:02:15

It's horrid OP, we have been through the same with ours (now 21 months)
We just got prescribed some epi pens last week with her last bout.
She has also had to have oxygen etc before in A and E and admitted.

Its very scary and we have learnt that we just have to be on our guard all the time.

harverina Sat 30-Jul-11 22:02:49

Thank for your replies. We are sitting quietly in the ward just now. Dd has breadtfed on and off and had a big plate of chips and beans while I was away getting our stuff together...I kept calling my dh to make sure she wasn't reacting to it sad I know you are right about the adrenaline, it just sacred me so much.

My dd is a little unsettled, she hasn't slept all day and is shattered but its sooo warm in the ward!

Freefrommum, your so right about the epipen and that's what I would tell any other mum, I just can't believe it and It scares me. My dd is quite small so the doc said it might not be an epipen but something else...? Will ask tomorrow.

Thanks again, I feel so teary tonight, but need to try and get some perspective.

harverina Sat 30-Jul-11 22:15:04

Oh sorry missed a few of the replies!

Baby barrister, my dd was given Steroids orally when we arrived...should we be given more? Nothing like this happened the first time my dd got a reaction, we were just sent home, although the difference this time is that we know that she does have allergies.

We attend an allergy clinic but are not due to be seen till next April...we last attended in April this year but my dd, then 1, was not retested. She has only ever had skin prick tests...should I be asking for blood tests? We are in the west of Scotland.

Relieved to hear that the second reaction is usually within 6 hours...dd took reaction around 2 pm, maybe a little earlier.

Thanks so much for your replies, I am go grateful.

OnEdge Sat 30-Jul-11 22:18:34

Just ensure you have your epipen

Ivortheengine8 Sat 30-Jul-11 22:19:02

Our DD had the RAST tests (blood tests) at about 6 months, I think they are more accurate.

babybarrister Sun 31-Jul-11 08:36:59

freefrommum Sun 31-Jul-11 18:55:15

dito=to everything babybarrister said, especially the bit about joining the Anaphylaxis Campaign - they even run free regional workshops for parents.

freefrommum Sun 31-Jul-11 18:55:44

oops! *ditto

youarekidding Sun 31-Jul-11 19:06:04

Oh I'm sorry to hear you've had such a shock.

You did entirely the right thing. I have often told my story of DS having a similar reaction, I treated at home with lots of puriton (15ml in total) but he still has epi-pens as its better to use them when breathing is affected.

It's a very scary thing being given the epi-pens, to me it felt like a life sentence, but it is reassuring to know you have them once the initial shock subsides.

Hope you are all feeling better tomorrow and enjoy the rest of your weekend at the IL's.

Also Ditto all BB said.

youarekidding Sun 31-Jul-11 19:07:18

Sorry should have said I was given the epi-pens after the bad reaction I treated at home as I never realised how bad it was. blush About 1 second after showing GP the picture - I knew. wink

harverina Mon 01-Aug-11 23:46:28

Hi sorry I haven't been back. We are home now with two junior epipens, I was told by hospital staff to order another two each for every regular carer too so will do that this week. I'm on holiday from work so will have time to get that organised.

Babybarrister, saw that you are struggling a bit just now from your other thread so thanks so much for reassuring me despite you feeling a bit rubbish.

I'm trying to get perspective...initially I saw getting the epipens as a sign that my dd's allergies were worse but now that I have seen the guidance on when to use the pens I see now that we should probably have been given then after my dd's first reaction 10 months ago.

I have been watching my dd like a hawke especially at meal times even when she

harverina Mon 01-Aug-11 23:59:30

Hi sorry I haven't been back. We are home now with two junior epipens, I was told by hospital staff to order another two each for every regular carer too so will do that this week. I'm on holiday from work so will have time to get that organised.

Babybarrister, saw that you are struggling a bit just now from your other thread so thanks so much for reassuring me despite you feeling a bit rubbish.

I'm trying to get perspective...initially I saw getting the epipens as a sign that my dd's allergies were worse but now that I have seen the guidance on when to use the pens I see now that we should probably have been given then after my dd's first reaction 10 months ago. They still terrify me and make me feel physically sick but I need to try and get over that.

I have been watching my dd like a hawke especially at meal times even when she is eating things she eats regularly, I'm so scared. I hope that this feeling of panic gets better, its a horrible feeling.

I have some questions...well one just now anyway...if we spot the signs of a reaction quickly and treat with piriton (I.e before any of the more serious symptoms occur) can piriton stop the reaction before it gets worse? Just trying to figure out how it works.

The pediatrician that we saw said that its likely my dd picked up something and ate it or that there has been cross contamination somewhere...she also said to avoid nuts, which we knew to do anyway, but has worried me a bit by saying that even smelling them can cause a reaction...my dh and I don't eat a lot of nuts but my dd has been around when we have eaten things that contain peanuts, eg. a snickers bar and satay sauce...I am careful with things like this due to them containing milk but didn't give much thought to the fact that my dd might react to the nuts by being close as she hasn't been tested for nut allergy. Just wonder what you guys all think about this? Also, we often drink tea with milk sitting with my dd and there has been no sales, but now wonder about this too?

Sorry for huge post, hope you are all well.

babybarrister Tue 02-Aug-11 07:18:13

harverina Thu 04-Aug-11 18:51:22

Thanks babybarrister.

I have another question, sorry...are anaphylactic reactions usually instant? I have heard about delayed reactions, but do delayed reactions usually come out on the skin as opposed to breathing difficulties?

babybarrister Thu 04-Aug-11 18:54:24

shouldbeelswhere Thu 04-Aug-11 19:28:31

My dd had a rebound reaction the next day, started scratching her face like mad then quickly went all pale and floppy. Very frightening, we were driving at the time and only noticed because she seemed very quiet and I happened to look round! Luckily the hospital had warned me that might happen and after a dose of piriton (literally within minutes) she was fine, (whew! leaving me shaking with panic). This predated us being issued the epipens.

harverina Thu 04-Aug-11 20:03:19

Thanks again, I will read the document when I go on the laptop.

youarekidding Fri 05-Aug-11 16:34:21

My DS has suspected bi-phasic reactions based on the reaction he had that got the epi-pens prescibed. He has a sudden itchy face and hives/rash and 5ml puiton immediatly and 10 minutes later was fine. 6 hours later he had the swelling, doomed feeling, respiritory problems etc.

I have been told if we use epi-pens DS will be monitored in hospital for 4-6 hours for secondary reaction as that's the norm but that if he has any reaction at home requiring puriton to monitor for 6-8 hours.

Sorry if that sounds negative and not reassuring but I thought it helpful for you to have the information.

Sorry your feeling the way you are, DS has only had his epi-pens 6 months and thanks to the lovely ladies here I'm just now beginning to get 'use' to it. Its a lovely board and I'm glad I found it to share the worries, rants, concerns, bad times and also good news and laughter. Welcome.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now