Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cow protein allergy? help please

(7 Posts)
yummymummy345 Sat 30-Jul-11 14:21:47

Hoping you can help. Really want to continue bf but DS cow protein allergic. tried cutting out the milk in obvious things but symptoms appearing still . Is anyone able to advise what i can eat ie for breakfast? bits of toast just dont cut it! will aim to get nutritionist appt thru docs but until then would love your advice please

ChocaMum Sat 30-Jul-11 15:45:27

I'm afraid until you completely cut out milk and often soya as well the symptoms will continue. Cwp is in all sorts of things so your really have to read everything, from crisps to oxo cubes! And soya is in lots of things too like bread, so again read everything.

I ended up getting a bread maker which probably sounds quite drastic, but with dd's other allergies it's been a lot easier. And you can buy non dairy non soya milk like oatly. HTH. Good luck!

jenjenjenjen Sat 30-Jul-11 21:07:19

I also recommend Oatly milk. We all like it in our house, in fact my non allergic DD asks for it in preference to normal milk as a drink. I have it on cereal for breakfast most days.

And if you are BF without eating dairy make sure you take a calcium supplement.

yummymummy345 Sun 31-Jul-11 10:02:43

Thank you for your responses, I will look out for that milk, have just bought rice milk, which tastes ok to have on my weetabix!

greenbananas Sun 31-Jul-11 11:36:12

I don't wish to be a harbinger of doom, but are you sure it's just the CMP that your DS is reacting to?

When I first became aware that DS had food allergies, I kept a detailed diary of what I ate. My experience was that DS improved hugely when I eliminated cow's milk, nuts and eggs from my diet, but that his symptoms didn't ease completely until I had identified various other things that made him poorly / gave him eczema (in his case this was a big range of foods including beans&peas, stone fruits, onions, bananas, tomatoes... but now he can have some of those foods in small doses)

Breakfast: bacon sandwiches every day? grin I also eat crumpets, vegan pancakes, hot cross buns, and sometimes porridge made with rice milk.

yummymummy345 Mon 01-Aug-11 10:41:04

Ah porridge made with rice milk- sounds fab great idea, miss porridge, gonna stick the dairy out then see out it goes, did occur to me that there could be other foodsas the symptoms have not completly subsided. Perhaps he can be allergy tested along with the CMP.

babybarrister Mon 01-Aug-11 15:45:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: