Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Possible reaction to formula

(6 Posts)
SylvesterMcMonkeyMcBean Wed 27-Jul-11 20:48:29

I'm new to this so any advice welcome.

DS has eczema and has been breast fed for 6 months. Just tried a formula bottle feed for the first time afternoon. He wasn't too keen on it and took about 50mls before getting fed up. Shortly after I noticed that he had a swollen eye and running nose. The nose cleared up very soon and the eye went down over the hour or so. I suspect an allergic reaction to the formula but this hasn't come up as a reaction to formula on any google search.
The formula was cow and gate stage 1 if that makes any difference.

Anyone had a similar reaction?

Solo Thu 28-Jul-11 01:15:37

No advice as no idea, but can I ask the reason you are introducing formula at 6 months please? I am pro bf and do think (only my opinion here) that babies with allergies/eczema etc will benefit from long term breast milk if it is possible to do so.

babybarrister Thu 28-Jul-11 07:58:41

that formula is based on cow's milk - has DC had cow's milk in any form before?

you could try dabbing a little milk on DC arm and seeing if there is a rash

ChocaMum Thu 28-Jul-11 21:37:57

Agree with BB, sounds like possible cows milk allergy? Has DS had any problems with reflux/colic/runny poos?

Lots of the baby cereals contain cows milk, have you tried them? Or yoghurts? Or any other dairy before?

If he has had bad eczema/difficult to control eczema then that can be because of cows milk protein crossing through to DS from your breast milk, this happened with my DD.

I would think about seeing your GP about this. Mainly because in the long term if he does need the prescription milk, introducing it around 6 months of age has the highest success rate. It tastes pretty nasty but when they are still little and have not experienced much in the way of flavour they normally accept it much better than after 1. Good luck.

SylvesterMcMonkeyMcBean Fri 29-Jul-11 09:23:16

Thanks for the feedback.
This was the first "direct" cows mill product I've tried. Aside from the eczema there aren't really any other symptoms although he does poo more frequently than DD did.

I'll try the milk on skin test and follow up with GP.

eragon Fri 29-Jul-11 12:40:41

Let us know how you get on, ask if you can for your child to be reffered to a immunologist, and you will get the best help.

as for breastfeeding, you can carry on if it suits you , or you can get a fully protein changed formula suitable for milk allergic infants. Its up to you, good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now