Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

8mth CMPA breastfed baby -advice on hypo formula please?

(10 Posts)
Etalb Wed 27-Jul-11 20:46:37

Hi there - really struggling to get my baby to drink this vile stuff - he has had some pregestrimal - one bottle a night for about week but then wouldn't take anymore. I also have a script for nutria?? something or other and 10 cans of Neocate which a friend had left over. What should I do - try one of the others for a while - I don't want to confuse him too much. Does anyone have any experience with this? Getting a bit desperate as would like to wean him to bottle as I'm off diary and soya which is quite hard- any advice appreciated?
Thanks

CombineArvester Wed 27-Jul-11 20:52:44

Mix fed mine but he was only CMP intolerant (suspected). We tried nutrimagen but was absolutely foul. Neocate is supposed to be the best one with CMP completely removed. I would forget the nutrimagen and try neocate. The problem is they are quite sour compared to BM. If you can express try doing half BM half neocate and then gradually reduce the amount of BM in the bottle.

Etalb Wed 27-Jul-11 21:01:11

Thanks this is good to know. - not good at expressing - will go with the neocate and try expressing too.

jenjenjenjen Wed 27-Jul-11 21:13:32

Have you tried Aptamil Pepti? Can get it on prescription, doesn't taste too bad. My 8 month old is CMPA and fine on this. It is made from cows milk but the protein is hydrolysed so that it doesn't provoke an immune response, the vast majority of CMPA babies tolerate it (a few don't so give a small amount first). Pepti 1 is for under 6 months old, Pepti 2 over 6 months.

This was recommended by the paediatric allergy dietician and consultant that we saw - ask for a referral if you haven't already.

Etalb Wed 27-Jul-11 21:15:46

Jen jen - another friend has had success with this but I thought it was soya based?

jenjenjenjen Thu 28-Jul-11 22:35:33

No it is based on cows milk with the whey protein molecules broken down. So it has roughly the same nutritional value as ordinary formula milk but without causing the rash etc. I was told that over 95% of CMPA babies can tolerate it. It has a bit of a funny taste, but it isn't too bad. We have never tried any of the others as this is what my son was first prescribed and he drank it happily.

simpson Thu 28-Jul-11 23:03:12

Are you expressing??

You can always mix the neocate with BM and gradually reduce the BM iyswim.

Good luck smile Neocate is foul stuff, my DD (now 3) has been on it since she was 8mths.

greenbananas Fri 29-Jul-11 07:34:06

If you are really keen to start formula-feeding, then the advice about mixing hypo-allergenic formula with BM is good. You could also try giving it in a sippy-cup, in case it's the teat that your baby is objecting to.

Just guessing here, but are you going back to work? (this is a common reason for switching to formula at 8 months). If so, you may find that you are still able to continue BF if you want to. I know that expressing can be a real pain, but some mums find their 8-9 month old babies adjust to not having much milk in the day (and make up for it by having really big feeds in the evenings and early mornings). If expressing is not your thing, and you do want to use formula during the day, then your baby could perhaps just have a bottle or cup of hypo-allergenic formula when she is in childcare.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do smile

garliclover Fri 29-Jul-11 14:33:18

Just to add to jenjen's post, my DS is on Aptamil aswell. He took to it really well at 6 months, when I went back to work. You don't mention how old your DS is, but if he's 6 months or younger then maybe his taste buds won't be that developed and he'll get used to the new taste quickly. Pepti is the closest in taste to normal formula, and also has lactose which can be good because it keeps your DC's lactase levels up (thereby reducing risk of him becoming temporarily lactose intolerant -- very rare in babies, apparently).

yummymummy345 Sat 30-Jul-11 14:28:12

Hi my DS on nutrigenin which tastes horrid, mixed 4 oz with just 1oz expressed milk for last week (2 bottles over night only - rest bf during day), now have given to him straight and he drank it no questions asked

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now