Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Eczema-friendly soap

(13 Posts)
AngelDog Wed 27-Jul-11 12:00:39

DS has eczema on his face, and I wash him using emollients (usually Dermol).

I also have a bit of dermatitis and dry skin and I want to get some soap and/or handwash which won't dry my skin out too much either. Any suggestions? The cheaper the better. smile

FiveBells Wed 27-Jul-11 12:05:31

Best not to use soaps at all, although some people I know use goats milk soap.

AngelDog Wed 27-Jul-11 12:08:47

What would be an alternative to soap? I feel reluctant to use DS's emollients since it's a prescription for him, not me.

freefrommum Wed 27-Jul-11 13:51:13

Dermol 500 is the best soap alternative for eczema and dermatitis, comes in a handy dispenser like liquid soap. Don't know how much it costs though as DS has it on prescription.

AngelDog Wed 27-Jul-11 22:48:53

Hmm - £10 a bottle by the look of it. shock

BoosMaw Fri 29-Jul-11 23:03:53

I'd recommend Cetaphil cleanser:

www.cetaphil.co.uk/products/cleanser.asp#top2

If you have Costco membership you can get it at approx £18 for 2x 500ml bottles which is still more expensive than most soaps, but I find its good stuff. Also, the Cetaphil moisturising cream was the only moisturiser out of the millions that we tried that had any good effect on DD's eczema.

Dukandoit Sat 30-Jul-11 08:09:43

My husband was told by his dermatologist to use Dove rather than other soaps.

OpinionatedPlusSprogs Sat 30-Jul-11 08:17:05

You can get dermol 500 on prescription.

Try Nettle soap from highlandfresh.com. A few friends of mine have eczema or have dc with eczema and find that it works.

raspberryhead Sat 30-Jul-11 08:22:33

Emollients you could use are:
Aqueous cream - quite cheap
Doublebase gel - comes in a handy pump, not sure about price
Epaderm cream
All should be available from your friendly pharmacist!best to stay away from ANY soaps. Even the so-called mild ones have soap in them which is what's going to make your hands worse.....

JenniL1977 Sat 30-Jul-11 08:40:30

Don't use any type of soap, at all. It will not help you!
Both DH and I have eczema, we use porridge oats in water sometimes (I know it sounds all lentil weaving, but there's something on oats that is a natural emollient) and it's cheap. Your doctor will give you Dermol on prescription too - mahoosive tubs of it. You can ask for a referral to a dermatologist too if you think it's bad enough - you shouldn't have to live with it.
porridge oats

raspberryhead Sat 30-Jul-11 15:56:50

Yes, I agree with JenniL1977, loads of people do swear by oats. Cheap and no petrochemicals (assuming organic)...

ChocaMum Sat 30-Jul-11 16:12:58

I agree don't use any soaps, they'll all damage and dry out your skin. I buy E45 wash which comes in a pump dispenser but dermal is the best so if you can just get lots of it on your DS's prescriptions as I'm guessing he gets it free! Aqueous cream is cheap and is good as a wash, but not good as a leave on emollient.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now