Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Need quick advice moms with CMPI offspring

(6 Posts)
KeyWestK Mon 25-Jul-11 15:16:46

DD 2, is cmpi. She drinks 240mls of almond milk, 2x a day from her bottle. At breakfast and before bed. She does eat an ok amount of broccoli and tomatoes but this is her main source of calcium.

This weekend, I "forgot" her bottle when we went to my in-laws.

She actually wasn't too fussed, however refused to drink her milk from a normal cup or sippy cup. (She is fine drinking water or juice from a cup)

We are home now and I have hidden all the other bottles as I guess its time to ditch the bottles anyway...

Questions are: Will she eventually break down and start drinking her milk from a cup? Or is this it for the milk? And how long do you think it will take? Do you think I should be supplementing with some other calcium whilst this milk from a cup strike is going on?

Thank you in advance!

freefrommum Mon 25-Jul-11 19:46:46

Can't offer much advice I'm afraid as I know nothing about almond milk (my 4 yr old DS has Neocate on prescription) but if you're worried about calcium intake I'd recommend Tesco or Morrison's own brand hot oat cereal made with child's usual milk substitute as it has lots of added calcium and vitamins. I would also persevere with the milk in a cup as these things can take a while with stubborn toddlers! Good luck.

MillyMollyMardy Mon 25-Jul-11 20:25:18

I saw a paediatric dietician last week about dd but whilst I was there asked about ds who used to be CMPI but can now tolerate it in small amounts. He doesn't really like dairy as he wasn't allowed it for so long and I think his calcium intake is low. We were recommended Hovis Best of Both bread as it's very high in calcium.Your dd needs 3 sources of calcium per day from what we were told, whatever form it's in.

freefrommum Mon 25-Jul-11 21:23:25

Alpro soya yoghurts also have added calcium (pls check just in case it's not all varieties). The smooth ones are generally preferred by toddlers as they don't have bits (pack of 4, 2 x strawberry & banana and 2 x peach & pear)

KeyWestK Mon 25-Jul-11 21:33:44

Thanks ladies, I will check out the above brands and see what I can find...yes freefrommum.. fingers crossed it the stand off ends soon!

simpson Mon 25-Jul-11 21:40:36

I also have real problems getting my DD (3) to have enough calcium sad

She is dairy, soya, oats & barley intolerant.

She could not tolerate the calcium supplements you get from the chemist either.

She is on neocate LCP (could not tolerate neocate active)

I give her loads of broccoli, spinach etc and I do give her a rusk a day (low sugar one) as the calcium is quite high...

She does also eat sardines and prawns which I beleive are high in calcium too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now