Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

cow's milk in fruit cocktail fruit juice

(92 Posts)
babybarrister Sat 23-Jul-11 14:19:53

we are just returning from A & E having ordered DS a fruit cocktail fruit juice. It was a Lebanese restaurant [v well known chain ....] and I asked whether it had yogourt in it as I know sometimes this is added. I also asked specifically whether any other type of dairy. Well we can all guess what happened as there was indeed "just a little milk" in it ....

anyway back at home now - DS OK though a little drowsy - no epipen needed - the great thing about having had serious reactions is that it puts the others into perspective hmm grin

so - for all the cmp allergics out - check the juice .....

freefrommum Sat 23-Jul-11 16:40:48

Oh babybarrister that's pants sad So frustrating when you've asked all the right questions and still people don't understand the severity of the situation. This is why I'm so terrified about eating out, I just don't trust anybody else to prepare food for my kids that won't make them ill! Glad to DS is ok and didn't need epipens but still a horrible experience. Big hugs.

greenbananas Sat 23-Jul-11 16:45:17

oh bless you, how horrible for you both sad

As freefrommum says, it's so frustrating when you have asked all the rioght questions. No wonder so many of us mums come across as paranoid!

Glad your DS is okay.

babybarrister Sat 23-Jul-11 22:46:31

he is fine but of course the rest of the day was a wipeout and DH had planned a "romantic date" which had to be cancelled as we could not really leave DS as he was asleep on sofa ....

methinks the restaurant will be making a donation to the Anaphylaxis Campaign in the near future ....

babybarrister Sun 24-Jul-11 17:43:03

I have reported them to Environmental Health - will keep you all posted! As ncie as they were, they clearly did not have a clue .....

shouldbeelswhere Sun 24-Jul-11 17:51:57

How dreadful, sorry you had such a horrible time of it. Good for you reporting them to Environmental Health.

babybarrister Sun 24-Jul-11 18:06:35

tbh it was not really horrible as after about 5 mins we could see it was manageable and we know what is awful as we have had REALLY dreadful reactions - this was more of a PITA - in fact the perfect case for a prosecution as I do not feel as emotional as I might otherwise feel ....

it is a chain of 14 upmarket restaurants who need to improve their safety understanding IMO ...we live in the Borough and I feel I am a crusader so DS can dine out safely in the future!!

shouldbeelswhere Sun 24-Jul-11 19:30:04

I don't know about others on here but I feel like I've been put in the situation where I cannot be anything other than a crusader, even so good on you for taking action.

babybarrister Sun 24-Jul-11 19:33:17

I shall dress in an orange cape from now on grin [orange is the anaphylaxis campaign's colour]

I probably won't even get a reply ....

shouldbeelswhere Sun 24-Jul-11 19:45:13

let us know if you do, I'd be interested to know how they respond.

youarekidding Sun 24-Jul-11 19:45:14

Oh BB sad That is awful, but glad it wasn't a epi-pen jobby.

Hope your gorgeous DS is feeling better soon. Love the idea of a donation by the restaurant. Did they see DS reaction? That should give them some idea of the dangers of not checking properly.

babybarrister Sun 24-Jul-11 20:37:45

they did see him and to be fair were very sweet - but it was too late ....the manager had a son the same age which made him quite emotional I think. The truth was that they did not have a clue as far as I could see - the manager kept saying "but it was just a tiny bit of milk ...." hmm

still DS loves the idea that I have written a letter and that they are going to say sorry to him [let's just put it this way I am rarely the mother of the "victim" in the playground...! - an apology to DS is a real novelty grin]

youarekidding Sun 24-Jul-11 21:46:43

grin I think an apology is pretty much a given when they put your DS life at risk. I was also be sending them the information or a link to anaphylaxis campaign to educate them.

We need to add ' it's just a little bit' to our repetiore of ignorant things people say. It trumps ' but they may grow out of it' wink

babybarrister Sun 24-Jul-11 21:54:34

am liking grin

thisisyesterday Sun 24-Jul-11 22:04:05

omg!!! that's so scary!

we once ordered a fruit smoothie for ds2 (after checking that it was JUST fruit).... thankfully when it came it looked very "creamy" and when we double checked it did indeed contain ice cream/milk hmm

even more thankfully he is only intolerant, so while it was annoying it was nothing like you have had to deal with BB. that really would scare me into not wanting to eat out ever with him!!!

people are just SO stupid

glad your DS is ok

greenbananas Mon 25-Jul-11 08:10:49

BB, it sounds like the restuarant manager was gutted (and so he should be!) It's great that he is going to apologise to your DS. Let's hope his restuarant will be a safer place for people with allergies to eat in the future!

Next time I am making a fuss about reading the ingredients of the sausages in a cafe, and the manager is rolling his eyes at me, I am going to imagine myself wearing an orange cape grin

babybarrister Mon 25-Jul-11 16:56:56

Anaphylaxis Campaign sent me this ....www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/top_norwich_restaurant_fined_after_customer_suffers_allergic_reaction_1_964138

youarekidding Mon 25-Jul-11 17:50:06

I'm glad trading standards have taken cases seriously. I think they may be your port of call here?

I just dropped DS off at Infants school leaving BBQ. I asked HT if she wanted DS allergy bag or if they had access to his in school. (BBQ at back on playground). She said they have it 'ready' on the desk as there will be ketchup served. grin Me thinks that may be taking it a little seriously it only gives him hives on the face. grin (severe reaction was not to ketchup) Nice to know they have an action plan though. smile

shouldbeelswhere Mon 25-Jul-11 17:54:52

bring it on. The more cases that get to court hopefully the sooner the message will get out there! Hurt resturants in their pockets and then they'll take it seriously imo.

shouldbeelswhere Mon 25-Jul-11 17:55:48

sorry x post

freefrommum Mon 25-Jul-11 19:41:54

I agree. Restaurants need to take more responsibility for being accurate about what's in their food. Eating out shouldn't be like a game of Russian Roulette!

thisisyesterday Mon 25-Jul-11 20:12:35

but still..... did you read the last bit?

"In mitigation, Richard Wood said his client had been in the business for about 30 years. He said: “He has had similar occasions to this when very small amounts of dairy products have been included in dishes given to people with allergies, none of whom had reacted in this way.

“The lamb served to the customer contained just 13.5mg dairy products in 250g."

it's the whole "well it's just a little bit".... I can't believe that in mitigation they used the fact that he had served it to other allergy sufferers!!! shock

that surely makes it even worse, not better!?

freefrommum Mon 25-Jul-11 20:18:19

I know, just highlights the total lack of understanding 'it was only a little bit' ...

youarekidding Mon 25-Jul-11 20:18:53

Agree TIY It's the whole 'its just a little bit'. There maybe needs to be more information about for people with regards to allergies. Some children can have anaphylatic shock from touching milk products.

In my GP surgery theres loads of info about diabetes, asthma, epilepsy, vacinations, flu, the coil, none about allergies - which is shock ing.

youarekidding Mon 25-Jul-11 20:19:31

some people obvoisly know its not just children but its generally our DC's we're discussing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now