Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Just diagnosed, allergy to fragrances. Feeling a bit overwhelmed by the changes I have to make.

(8 Posts)
PrettyCandles Fri 22-Jul-11 13:16:12

I've just been diagnosed allergic to fragrances and a few other things.

I've got to change what I use, but don't know what and how. Just about everything the dr was advising me that I had to stop using or find an alternative for, I already do not use!

I need fragrance-free shampoo, conditioner, moisturiser. What about deodorant? Does that need to be f-f?

Dh will use the same shampoo etc as me, but does he need to change his shaving soap and aftershave as well?

Are there f-f perfumes?

I don't use fabric conditioner, but is there such a thing as fragrance-free laundry detergent? What about Oxy-clean, is there a decent substitute for it, or does it get washed out anyway?

I need to get f-f household cleaning stuff.

Can anyone recommend stuff?

And do I just change everything in one go?

And have I missed anything?

PrettyCandles Fri 22-Jul-11 15:26:19

Sunscreen!

PrettyCandles Fri 22-Jul-11 20:12:33

Toothpaste?

tiredgranny Fri 22-Jul-11 20:22:27

simple range ff or sanex do shampoo con deodrant shower etc

QueenOfFeckingEverything Fri 22-Jul-11 20:28:27

Soap nuts for laundry

One of those pit-rok crystal deodorants

What exactly is meant by 'fragrance' - is it just artificial ones you need to avoid? If so you might be able to use some essential oils?

PrettyCandles Fri 22-Jul-11 21:03:15

I'm not sure exactly. I've got a list of the fragrances that were in the patch tests, and I've been looking them up in Wikipedia. Mostly they derive from natural products.

I've used Pitrok in the past - it works well on my skin, but when i use it my clothes smell badly of perspiration!

eragon Fri 22-Jul-11 22:27:40

'simple' skin products are ok, and pretty easy to find.

PrettyCandles Sat 23-Jul-11 08:09:34

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll go shopping today and get some of them.

What about household cleaners etc - any suggestions?

I don't feel quite so daunted after a night's sleep, though I'm still itching horribly. I never thought to ask the dermatologist, what do I do about the patch test reactions? Do I just leave them to heal on their own, or can I help them along? The leaflet I was given said that reactions can be delayed, and if any new patches come up I should contact them. Which implies that I should not treat my back as this could suppress any further reactions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now