Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any ideas on this wierd reaction to a bagel?

(13 Posts)
lukewarmmama Tue 19-Jul-11 20:24:33

I'm thinking of maybe a type of glaze or something?

I'm normally on this board for my dd1 (anaphylactic to dairy/eggs), so I'm quite familiar with allergies. But this was me - had a bagel from a shop, immediate tingling in mouth and after a few minutes started to feel odd and hot. After 10/15 mins I was puce red from the neck up, my pulse was sky high (maybe 140?), head pounding and I felt shaky. Took a benadril and an ibuprofen, and after another 20 mins or so started to feel better.

I don't have any food allergies, apart from scallops, which are pretty easy to avoid. I get some oral reaction with apples and bananas, but that's it.

The bagel was poppy seed, with tuna mayo and salad - all stuff I eat all the time. Can't think of what on earth could have caused this? Maybe some chemical glaze on the bagel? Any ideas very welcome, as I still feel wacked and my heart kind of aches, v strange and slightly worrying!

lukewarmmama Tue 19-Jul-11 21:10:30

babybarrister Tue 19-Jul-11 21:15:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lukewarmmama Wed 20-Jul-11 08:55:26

Thanks, I guess it could have been - I've never had a problem with them before though. although I know that doesn't mean anything... I didn't know that you could be allergic to poppy seeds. Given the reaction, I might see if I can get tested (in 18 months time when the referral comes through...!).

Lesson learnt for me - if it makes your mouth tingle, then don't carry on eating it! Doh. You'd think I would know that.

lukewarmmama Thu 21-Jul-11 10:35:21

OK - been to the GP and he recommended eating a tiny amount of tuna to see if it was that (with some piriton standing by). Sounds like pretty dodgy advice to me...

babybarrister Thu 21-Jul-11 10:59:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lukewarmmama Thu 21-Jul-11 11:33:41

Sorry - I should have mentioned, not trying to post by stealth - pretty sure my only other real (i.e. not just oral allergy, which I have with apples) food allergy is scallops - get v sick and sleepy with those, but very easy to avoid. So I guess he seized on the whole seafood thing (even though I regularly eat tuna, prawns, cod, haddock, salmon etc etc).

I've emailed the store I got the bagel from asking for ingredients, but don't hold out much hope of a reply. Have just googled tuna allergy (always good for a sound medical opinion!), and it sounds like it could also be a kind of food poisoning which presents like an allergic reaction - which sounds quite likely to me. Hum.

differentnameforthis Thu 21-Jul-11 12:38:38

Was it preped in front of you? Did they use latex gloves?

NerfHerder Thu 21-Jul-11 12:44:30

Was there sesame in the bagel?

lukewarmmama Thu 21-Jul-11 13:09:03

Yes, it was prepared in front of me, and I think she had gloves on - good idea, will be a bit careful around this to see...

No, no sesame (although x-contamination v easy), but sesame never been a problem for me either.

Have done some more googling, and I think the most likely cause was actually scombroid (histamine) poisoning which presents like an allergy, but is actually food poisoning.

On the back of that not-very scientific deduction, I've just tried a bit of tuna, and poppy seed, and am fine. So thank you everyone for listening while I whittered away figuring this out - and thank god there don't seem to be any more allergies in this family to contend with!

differentnameforthis Thu 21-Jul-11 13:16:39

It does sound very like that, lukewarm!

Hope it never happens again, sounds scary!

lukewarmmama Thu 21-Jul-11 14:17:19

Thanks - it was a bit, and I'm not normally freaked out by health stuff (unless its my children on the verge of collapse of course!). It had to be on the one time I wasn't lugging all dd1's piriton/epipens around as well, might have actually got to use them (only joking - very happy to have never had to use her epipen so far!).

differentnameforthis Fri 22-Jul-11 02:37:11

I mentioned the gloves as I have a latex allergy, which is worsening over time & some of my symptoms sound like yours. Am having to invest in a medical bracelet & talk to the dr re epipen.

Hope you are feeling better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now