Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cow's milk protein intolerance - how long till symptoms ease?

(13 Posts)
keepmumshesnotsodumb Fri 15-Jul-11 16:09:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EmJayg Fri 15-Jul-11 16:23:51

First off well done for still breast feeding. It all depends on the baby, I breast fed for 8 weeks before finding out my ds was intolerant to milk and cheese. I had been having loads of dairy thinking I was being healthy!

I cut out all dairy but it was just too late, my milk started to dry up as he had soya formula and even when I expressed and added just an ounce of my milk he would throw up violently and hav awful sloppy poohs sorry TMI

I ended up having to bottle feed with soya formula and he remained intolerant until 2 years of age. He is now six and hasnt had a problem since age 2 at all.

I would persever, see how it goes, however if it isnt possible to feed him yourself I really wouldnt worry, my son is really healthy and hasnt been ill at all since 4 year old. I think the first few weeks of breast feeding are the most important.

Hope it is just a short term thing for you and lil one, keep us updated.

keepmumshesnotsodumb Fri 15-Jul-11 17:38:35

Pancakeflipper Fri 15-Jul-11 17:42:39

I was told it can take 2 weeks for milk to clear out of the system. Is there any improvement?

pengelly Fri 15-Jul-11 18:01:39

My friends ds3 took almost four weeks to clear his system. He was 8 weeks old when diagnosed if this helps. She says there was an clear improvement during the third week and by week four he was sleeping and eating normally following the diet change. All colic symptoms gone. Hope this helps.

keepmumshesnotsodumb Fri 15-Jul-11 18:11:21

keepmumshesnotsodumb Fri 15-Jul-11 18:24:00

EmJayg Sat 16-Jul-11 11:38:58

I think you are doing brilliantly, I dont know if I could have coped with excluding dairy for so long. I seem to remember ds being really ill if I accidently gave him dairy products and it would take a week for him to be better and he was a toddler by then so yeah I reckon he will be better soon. He just has a tiny tummy that is working over time to get that nasty milk out.

Hope he is soon better x

keepmumshesnotsodumb Sat 16-Jul-11 16:45:05

Benjie1 Wed 20-Jul-11 15:42:29

It would be worth your while trailing Goats' milk, the protiens arent the same to those found in cow's milk & it contains all the same goodness.

freefrommum Wed 20-Jul-11 15:49:37

Sorry Benjie1 but the proteins in Goat's milk ARE very similar to cow's milk and this is why it is not recommended as an alternative in cases of cow's milk allergy.

keepmumshesnotsodumb Sat 23-Jul-11 11:08:16

EmJayg Fri 29-Jul-11 22:02:47

How are you getting on? Is lil one any better?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now