Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anybody use Hydroxyzine hydrochloride (Ucerax)?

(5 Posts)
greencybermummy Sat 09-Jul-11 13:21:11

DD2 age 3 was prescribed this last week by Consultant for uncontrollable itching associated with pretty bad eczema. We were despairing about the lack of sleep and itching at night. First night using it she slept through - wow - 1st time for months but since then it doesn't seem to be having the same effect. She is wakening more each night and the night time itching is creeping back.

Just wondered if anyone else has used this anti-histamine and what experiences you have had of it? I have a hot line to the Dermatology dept so I may well ring next week and discuss with them if things don't settle down, maybe we need to play about with the dose?

(She wears comfifast suits and is creamed up with epaderm before bed).

falasportugues Fri 15-Jul-11 20:17:38

Hi green cyber mummy. i gave it to my dd age 5 for approx 9 months. it was great for the first 6-7 month, although she woke up teribly grumpy. i gave her 5ml to start with, and then a follow on dose of 2.5 ml if she woke up later. once we had develped a better sleeping habit i reduced the dose to 1 or 2 ml. which made her less groggy and grumpy (it was affecting her school) then when she had awful flare up it wasn't working, so i upped the dose to the 7.5 again, but absolutely no effect, so just stopped using it. she has settled down a bit now.I think responses to these antihistimines are very individual, and you may be able to try a fw different ones til you hit the right dosage of the right one. however i think it is quite normal that they only work for a limited amount of time before the body builds up resistance. have you looked at other factors such as overheating in bed? i'm sure you have but just thought i'd ask. good luck!

greencybermummy Fri 15-Jul-11 20:39:21

Thanks for your response. I did ring the dermatology dept and had a long discussion with one of the paediatric nurses and basically I've stopped using it as after 1 week it was having no effect what so ever. We are not much further on at all. Just trying to keep room cool, DD cool and calm. She is finding it hard to tolerate the comfifast suits in this warmer weather too and is such a good little houdini managing to get out of all the suits we put her in at night even if the buttons are down the middle of the back!

I'm so tired by the fact that you never get a break from treating and trying to control eczema, I definitely could do with a siesta most days just to keep sane!

falasportugues Fri 15-Jul-11 21:22:23

i just replied on the other thread... i definately think it would be worth tryig the dream skin silk ones. i think the skin tightness of the comfifast can in inself be irritating, although this is how it is supposed to work, by not allowing the scratching to contact the skin. if they are not providing a barrier, then i would question their value. iyswim.

harrygracejessica Wed 20-Jul-11 22:45:16

I have my 4 year old on this as he used to itch himself raw from head to foot. He actually has a skin condition but I can't remember the name but if his skin gets scraped it is like a nettle rash to him so he has to itch it which then he scrapes a new bit of skin so just escalates. He was in a next all in one sleepsuit, moisturiser 4x a day but since this medicine we have him back in normal pjs and a much happier child smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now