Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

AIBU to carry a further Epipen on me to stab in the bum in all people who bullshit about having allergies?! [grin]

(28 Posts)
babybarrister Tue 05-Jul-11 12:12:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gingercat12 Tue 05-Jul-11 12:19:24

Where do you get hold of an epipen?

Udderly Tue 05-Jul-11 12:34:37

Maybe 15 years ago I went to get allergies tested. My mum had booked my dad in but he refused to go, it was paid for. I was 'allergic' to 60 foods no less! Strange I thought to myself, where are the rashes etc. Last year I had a 40 food blood test for ttc reasons. Mild issue with soya, that was it. There is an industry of quakery around food allergies.

babybarrister Tue 05-Jul-11 12:55:18

OpinionatedPlusSprogs Thu 07-Jul-11 14:41:25

YABU use something with a much bigger needle.

lukewarmmama Thu 07-Jul-11 21:22:47

yabu, you need to stab the epipen in the upper right quadrant of the thigh, not the bum

and then use the second one, in case the first one doesn't work

lukewarmmama Thu 07-Jul-11 21:29:42

And can I just add a second nomination...

A small braining with a bottle of Piriton for all those who say inane things like (DD allergic to dairy egg and lentils):

"Oh poor DD (as she's standing there, listening to all this), it must be awful for her not being able to eat normal food. Oh that's terrible. Can she have cheese? No? What about yoghurt? No, not even yoghurt? What about chocolate? Oh how horrendous! Oh poor poor thing. Still, she'll grow out of it won't she?" In a tone that's somehow meant to be comforting.

Would you stand in front of a disabled child and tell them how awful their life must be? And then raise hope that it'll all go away? When in actual fact the chances for severe allergy sufferers are on the slim side. G.r.r.r.r.

youarekidding Thu 07-Jul-11 21:31:11

or lukewarms idea but simultanously. So one in each thigh at the same time. grin

Don't let DS waste one on his preschool floor again. wink

alison222 Thu 07-Jul-11 21:36:37

But if you decide that you can't use it when it comes down to it, don't slip when recapping it and stab it into the side of your little finger otherwise it will be you that ends up in the hospital instead.....blush

lukewarmmama Thu 07-Jul-11 21:37:47

Alison - you didn't?!

DuffytheVampireSlayer Thu 07-Jul-11 21:51:06

I somehow don't think severe allergies compare to being disabled though confused

Yes I have/have had both.

alison222 Thu 07-Jul-11 21:55:51

lukewarmmama yes I did!!!!
My hand went deathly white and numb. They kept me there for about 5 hours till the blood circulation went back to normal . The feeling didn't return til the middle of the night ( I stabbed myself at about 3.00pm). Really don't recommend it - and that was a junior pen... We have adult ones now so I'll have to be doubly careful

babybarrister Fri 08-Jul-11 07:37:31

lukewarmmama Fri 08-Jul-11 07:44:45

Duffy - I think you are being disingenuous. I did not say it was the same as being disabled (although babybarrister makes a very good argument for the severely affected above, and I happen to agree).

I could just as easily have said, would you stand in front of a child with SN and say "what a shame he's not normal". It's the lack of sensitivity towards the child I was complaining of. Probably because so many people have "allergies" that lots of people don't realise how restrictive and severe a real allergy can be.

TimeWasting Fri 08-Jul-11 07:49:27

There's a difference between allergies and intolerances though isn't there. There's differences between severity of allergies too.
I'm allergic to cats. I can stroke them though, it just makes me feel unwell.
I might request a pet-free hotel, and then be spotted sitting with a friends cat on my lap for instance. It's not necesarily bullshit, it's just not a severe allergy.

Someone with a newly discovered gluten intolerance may request gluten-free food, but then have difficulty resisting those croissants. My Aunty was just that way last year. But she felt ill every time and is stricter now.

DuffytheVampireSlayer Fri 08-Jul-11 08:17:26

OK, I appreciate that it could be considered a mild disability and admit that I immediately jumped to worse case scenario with regards to disabilities as that is my experience. I can only blame tiredness for the quickness to find offence.

babybarrister wrote a very good post, DD is allergic to CMP, soya, nuts and Kiwi so far and it is hard yes. (especially when meddling family feed her on purpose). It's not too bad at the moment because she is only 2, so I mostly have autonomy on what she eats but I dread her starting nursery.

I also think TimeWasting has a good point with pointing out the differences between intolerances and true allergies, there are a lot of people who claim an allergy when it's perhaps just an intolerance and it does mean that both aren't taken very seriously.

I think I just look at DD2 and compare her to severely brain damaged DD1. Obviously she has her troubles to deal with too, but I know which I'd rather, which was my first reaction last night for which I am sorry. smile

RoseC Fri 08-Jul-11 08:43:59

DSis has a gluten intolerance and will still eat a favourite bit of cake/pastry on a very rare occasion, particularly on holiday. She thinks that the chance for her to spend the day in bed (if a bad reaction) and being on holiday (so relaxed - stress makes hers worse) outweighs the reactions itself.

Some people say allergy because they don't want to explain that yes, it's not life threatening, but actually it is a PITA so please don't serve me that food (my Dad is one of these, DSis does it on occasion but is usually good at saying 'intolerance').

I'd actually like to nominate people who play allergy top trumps, including a family member who on being asked to finish something for me as it made me throat swell up said 'Oh, but there's all those other things I'm allergic to... [long list] and bananas'. This person does not have a banana allergy or intolerance, eats them with impunity, but simply has to have more allergies than everyone else. At that point I saw red because they knew my DMum had gone into resuss twice in one afternoon thanks to a ripe banana angry They'd actually been with her at the time!

babybarrister Fri 08-Jul-11 08:48:46

DuffytheVampireSlayer Fri 08-Jul-11 09:52:06

Thanks babybarrister, you just have to live with the hand you are dealt don't you? It's always hard to see your DC struggle with things that other people don't have to think about.

My stepdad makes me laugh and grit my teeth at the same time, he's "allergic" to a lot of foods, some because he doesn't like them! Other times he cheerfully reminds us as he's eating said foods!

I hope DD2 grows out if it too <repeats to self every day!>. Is that very likely? It's likely that your DS will have allergies all of his life isn't it? Seeing as he has so many and is so severely affected by them.

I didn't mean to be misleading but DD1 passed away, she did have the help she needed and was hopefully very happy while she was here smile

babybarrister Fri 08-Jul-11 13:37:23

RoseC Fri 08-Jul-11 14:24:15

Haha, DSis and I did play a bit of allergy trumps when I got my epipen. Following a concerned 'glad you're okay' text the next one read: 'Hahaha! I'm not the worst any more!' I currently rank 2/4 in our family <proud>

Celery is a weird one... it makes Mum's mouth itch, but nothing more. I think there should definitely be a 'shit allergy' category. Celery's in all sorts of things isn't it, like sauces? Your poor DS. At least mine are mainstream so I can avoid them fairly easily!

babybarrister Fri 08-Jul-11 14:28:47

HoneyNorwegianRidgebackdragon Fri 08-Jul-11 14:32:06

I don't have allergies certainly not severe apart from one. Champagne which is obviously not an issue. Apart from the one occasion at a do when one twat, refused to believe I didn't want the bloody stuff, in the end I said look it's not just that I don't particularly like it, I have a allergy.

Oh how we laughed on the way to hospital after he tipped some into the white wine, he had eventually agreed to fetch me. So glad that in his bid to prove a point about people using allergies to refuse stuff they don't like and don't want to try he ruined a lot of peoples evenings, whilst my throat swelled up and lumps appeared about my person.

Please stick your giant epipen in him.

I don't drink at all now, it's easier. I just have to explain why I am so boring instead hmm

dutchyoriginal Fri 08-Jul-11 14:45:21

Honey shock What did the twat do/say afterwards?

HoneyNorwegianRidgebackdragon Fri 08-Jul-11 14:56:49

Well according to friends sulked the whole evening, claiming it wasn't a proper allergy so how could he have known his "little point" would've back fired hmm, I vaguely knew his girlfriend as she was a friend of a friend, she actually dumped him over it so I guess he realised as a result of that what a twat he was.

It is an odd allergy, as no idea what it is in champagne that causes it, it is definitely a alcohol thing, as some cider caused a lesser reaction, but fizzy wine was ok confused, but I've been given a sorbet with champagne on it and didn't know and reacted then too.

I am in no way hampered by my allergy, but his attitude scares me. What if he decided to prove a point with a small child and peanuts, the thought is terrifying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now