Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DS had a reaction to something in a field - GP or not?

(7 Posts)
wangle99 Mon 04-Jul-11 17:08:11

DS (7) has spent the day with my friend, they are baling in her field and he's been having the time of his life, leave there and he starts scratching his arms, look and he is COVERED in raised spots all over his arm, look at his chest and he has red pin prick spots all over it.

Go to pharmacy she says piriton and also cream for itching. He's had piriton about 30 mins ago but the red pin pricks on his chest are increasing.

Do i need to see GP or as it isn't severe not take him? He's never reacted to anything grass like before but he does have food intolerances (not allergies).

Thank you!

wangle99 Mon 04-Jul-11 17:13:20

i've posted this in health too as hoping for an answer!

UnseenAcademicalMum Mon 04-Jul-11 17:18:15

The GP may not do much, as they are notoriously bad for taking allergies seriously. If it is just the rash, I'd just keep an eye on it, it will probably go away on its own, but may take a couple of hours. If he develops "internal" problems such as breathing difficulty call 999.

wangle99 Mon 04-Jul-11 17:19:03

Thank you, I wasn't sure whether to or not as this is totally new to me. I will keep an eye on it smile

babybarrister Tue 05-Jul-11 12:08:05

hope all OK and just went as fast as it came

3littlefrogs Tue 05-Jul-11 12:11:25

Bit late for this advice now, but it is really important to strip off clothing, bag it for washing, and get the child under the shower to get all the pollen/dust etc off asap.

Be aware that the next reaction might be worse, so keep antihitamines handy at all times.

Hope he is ok now.

wangle99 Tue 05-Jul-11 21:34:06

Thank you 3littlefrogs. We did strip him and shower him. His arms are completely back to normal this morning but his torso (which had little red raised spots over it) is still spotty, they aren't red anymore but still raised spots. will certainly keep piriton nearby just in case!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now