Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

E45 emolliant bath oil - do I not need soap any more?

(4 Posts)
deepfriedcupcake Thu 23-Jun-11 13:48:04

DS2 (13months) has some small patches of dry skin (poss mild eczema) on the inside of his elbows.

I've just picked up E45 emolliant bath oil and cream on prescription - it says on the bath oil bottle I don't need to use soap - at all? Do I just give him a wash over with a wet sponge instead? Does it matter if I use soap (baby bath wash) as well on him or DS1 if they've had a particularly grubby day?

CrapBag Thu 23-Jun-11 19:52:03

I use my DS's eczema cream as soap. Soap is no good for skin with eczema unless it is a specific one. I have never used soap on him (3.5) or DD who is 19 weeks and just developing eczema.

deepfriedcupcake Thu 23-Jun-11 20:13:08

I hadn't thought of that - the bath oil has definitely left the DSs and my hands silky soft, I'm quite interested to see how quickly the little patches will clear up / soften.

freefrommum Thu 23-Jun-11 20:41:06

You definitely don't need soap, or shampoo for that matter. I haven't used either on my son since he was a few mths old (now nearly 4). All normal forms of soap dry the skin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now