Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Substitute food ideas for allergic children please

(14 Posts)
shouldbeelswhere Tue 21-Jun-11 10:49:27

This comes from another threat...Any one have any good substitute food ideas for allergic children? I'd be interested in any for children with nut allergy, but I know there are a lot of mums out there dealing with dairy allergy etc...anyone with a substitute for nutella or peanut butter?

babybarrister Tue 21-Jun-11 10:57:06

jam!

shouldbeelswhere Tue 21-Jun-11 11:27:36

yes ok ha ha, but I meant as a protein substitute...I should have been clearer. It's lunch times that I find the worst. Though I probably wouldn't give nutella for lunch any way.

GrimmaTheNome Tue 21-Jun-11 11:31:18

Home-made hummus? (dead easy - chickpeas, garlic , olive oil and lemon juice whizzed up. Home made to avoid the tahini which is sesame)

shouldbeelswhere Tue 21-Jun-11 11:41:36

oh ok, thanks I'll give it a try...more please...smile

trixymalixy Tue 21-Jun-11 23:24:55

You can get nut free butter, think it's made from sunflower seeds, will definitely be able to buy it online or in health food shops. You used to be able to get dairy free chocolate spread in Tesco, haven't seen it fir a while, but can definitely buy it online.

nellymoo Wed 22-Jun-11 09:55:41

Are you vegetarian too?
We make lots of pate type spreads using toffuti as a base... Though if you're not avoiding dairy this isn't an issue.
Mackerel pate, roasted red peppers, roasted squash with lemons and homemade harrissa is a favourite...
Avocado mashed up with a bit of lemon juice...All great for spreading as a base on a sandwich or dipping breadsticks and vegetable crudites in.
We also make Chicken Liver pate with Pure instead of butter.
Eggs?

shouldbeelswhere Wed 22-Jun-11 10:11:17

No not vegetarian, she loves mackeral and cod and will try tuna but otherwise seems a bit of a fussy eater, but then she is 2.5 so that's pretty usual I guess. Thank you for your suggestions. I keep trying different things...I offered dhal yesterday but wouldn't even try it (though I did make it a bit too chilli for her!), she won't even try avocado or hummus...(though this might be because I've used shop bought so I'll try making it myself) forgot to say she's cheese intolerant..

GrimmaTheNome Wed 22-Jun-11 11:49:49

Depending on whether she likes strong flavours, you can of course leave out the garlic and/or lemon juice in home made hummus.

If she loves mackeral, presumably you can make a simple mackeral pate if you're wanting a sandwich filling.

Baked beans, of course....

and if you're not veggie, well most kids thrive on ham (nice ham of course grin) or chicken breast.

GrimmaTheNome Wed 22-Jun-11 11:51:00

Actually, come to think my DD, who was extremely fussy as a child (not an allergy in sight fortunately!) enjoyed whole chickpeas to snack on.

shouldbeelswhere Wed 22-Jun-11 13:02:23

Good thought re the pate and chickpeas...yes we're a bit ham'd out if you know what I mean as my DS has to have packed lunch and always says ham when he can't think of anything else so invariabley we end up with ham too, which I'm sooo bored of.

freefrommum Wed 22-Jun-11 14:31:46

Have u tried mashing avocado with banana? Very nutritious

babybarrister Wed 22-Jun-11 15:08:56

tinned mackerel etc in tomato sauce - smelly but v good!

shouldbeelswhere Sat 25-Jun-11 16:23:48

Thank you for the mackeral pate idea; she did at least try it smile I think she just doesn't "do lunch". She just nibbled at a pitta bread, but that's all. I bought the avocado and banana so we'll see...and I'll try the tinned mackerel. thanks everyone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now