Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Egg allergy - should I take this further?

(4 Posts)
Katisha Mon 20-Jun-11 18:58:43

Both DSs (now 11 and 9) haven't been able to eat egg from the word go. However DS2 (9) has more recently been OK with shop bought cakes - presumably the egg in them is pretty denatured somehow or other.

So with misplaced confidence he had some home-made cake at the weekend and immediately felt sick, which is not new. But what was new was getting a hoarse voice for half an hour or so.

Does this mean I should take him for a check-up do you think? Could it suddenly get a lot worse? Up till now reactions have been a bit of a sick feeling and what he describes as a tickly throat.

Mummyloveskisses Mon 20-Jun-11 21:33:54

Hi
I developed an egg allergy about 4 months ago, I can't eat egg in its natural state or cooked in things.... although amazingly I can eat helmans mayonnaise (no other make)! I spoke to the surgery nurse on DD's routine immunisation appointment and she said if you develope allergies or a worstening of an allergy you need to let the doctor know so your records are kept upto date, she said for rash like reactions the doctor wouldn't perscribe anything but for my reaction... I get tickly throat, tingling on my tongue and lips and a weird throat closing feeling shock.... he would give me an epi pen... she told me this 2 weeks ago and I am ashamed to say I still haven't found time to go blush DH is on holiday next week, so I will make an appointment for then

HTH

Katisha Mon 20-Jun-11 22:14:53

Thanks that's helpful - I was wondering if the time had perhaps come to keep an epi-pen. The egg allergy affecting DSs seems slightly random, or at least I haven't really found any coherent pattern as to what sets it off, so I don't want to caught out really.

Mummyloveskisses Mon 20-Jun-11 23:55:00

That's what I am finding, some egg foods effect me and others not at all or in a calmer way but not knowing what will is too risky not to have something on hand... I have been carrying piriton around but TBH if my throat were to close that would be useless smile

Definately needs a trip to the doctors, both of us smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now