Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Just want to share with others how I cleared up my DS's eczema - pls stop using fairy washing gel

(11 Posts)
mightybright Mon 20-Jun-11 09:20:46

DS has had eczema since he was a baby, he's now 3 and it was terrible, we used oilatum, E45 and steroid creams which helped a little bit but it never went away completely.

DS2 who is 6 months then started getting it, it was awful and DS1 was so itchy and grumpy it seemed to be ruling oor lives.

We decided to try a water softener as we live in a very hard water area but luckily juat before we had one installed we swapped our washing powder, or in this case liquid. We've always used fairy and assumed it was the best due to the marketing.

It was utterly astonishing, the eczema was gone on both DS's within 4 days. We are now using ecover and surcare (surcare seems the best) which have hardly any nasties. I really wanted to share this story with others who are in a similar situation with eczema, in our case it was the chemicals in their clothes.

claire2manyshoos Mon 20-Jun-11 09:27:47

I find Surcare best for eczema because it's the only one available in a regular supermarket that's completely fragrance free. Everything else, even the sensitive skin varieties, contain perfume.

HoorahHilda Mon 20-Jun-11 09:32:59

Yy agree re Surcare or even Filleti ? ( pink packet )

Fairy is AWFUL .Dd has had eczema from a baby , and we cut that out straght away .Dreadful stuff .

Jostones Mon 20-Jun-11 14:00:54

We also used to use Fairy and stopped recently and now use liquid soap flakes and soda crystals. My ds's eczema is generally loads better with flare ups that seem to be linked to food. He had a nap at my sister's house the other day and we borrowed her daughter's sleeping bag (that had been washed in Fairy) and he had a really bad reaction around his neck where the sleeping bag had touched him. I was really shocked at how instant the reaction was

babybarrister Mon 20-Jun-11 20:16:51

will try out though we do not have really bad excema but enough to be careful with washing powder ....

Likeaninjanow Mon 20-Jun-11 20:40:19

It's great that switching from Fairy helped your DC. However, my brother has had terrible eczema all his life, and Fairy is the only one that doesn't cause a flare-up. I really think eczema is an individual thing.

Always good to hear success stories though smile

realhousewifeofdevoncounty Mon 20-Jun-11 20:48:47

Do you know I was thinking of changing. I used to use any old own brand non bio - but I've been using fairy gel recently as I like the smell and it's been on special a lot at asda. And dd who had no problems with her skin before has had a lot of eczema flare ups recently. Thanks for the tip - will give it a go!

realhousewifeofdevoncounty Mon 20-Jun-11 20:50:31

I agree that it must be the perfume - yes it doesn't contain the enzymes, but it still is quite strongly fragranced compared to other non-bios.

WinterSnow Wed 22-Jun-11 08:02:07

Those of you changing from fairy, let us know what happens!

PinkWinged Wed 22-Jun-11 12:38:31

I had to stop using Fairy washing up liquid about 10 years ago because it caused my lips to swell up (instant trout pout). Whenever it has happened since then it has always been someone using Fairy WUL. No problems with anything else though. What do you think is in it that's causing these problems? Always meant to find out but never have.

bran Wed 22-Jun-11 12:43:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now