Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Itchy red, angry skin, nasty flare ups.. think its eczema??Read this...

(1 Post)
mytime777 Fri 17-Jun-11 20:03:28

Hi
I wanted to share my knowledge and experience with other skin condition suffers in the hope it may help someone else who has suffered.

As a young child ( 2 years) I had what the drs thought was eczema.
Aged 3-16 my skin was fine
16-18 my skin ( head to toe including my face) was covered in red and angry patches thought to be eczema. crazy amounts of steroid creams were applied.
18-21 skin was fine.
21 - 22 it came back - mainly on my face and arms ( for a while on my tummy) again steroids were prescribed.

So as an adult i decided to look further than the doctors /dermatologists diagnosis as i wasnt happy applying all the steroid cream to my skin - not only did it thin my skin it was damaging the pigment and as i tan well made me ridiculously patchy!! sad

So today my skin ( touch wood ) is back to normal smile how... ?
i started taking note of what i ate /drank. i did the normal , gave up wheat for a while. no difference. the same for gluten, dairy etc.

I realised that everytime i drank wine my skin flared up. it became a regular side effect when ever i drank wine... sad
this led me to look what was in wine that could aggravate me.... sulphates!! ( the ingredients they add to it to preserve it to stop it going off)

I started researching online what other foods/drinks sulphates were in and also what other artificial preservative are used and avoided as best i could. ( no more wine for mesad ).

Any way through my research i came across a condition called urticaria.

This skin condition is made worse and aggregated by preservative and sulphates.
Anti-inflammatories can also aggravate it.( when I was ill with a chest infection i was taking neurofen ( anti inflammatory ) and my skin was soooo bad!! and again when i had a short stay in hospital - pain killers made my skin react.

Suddenly it all fell into place. My hayfever, allergies, hives, bad skin, fact it got worse when I drank wine, junk food etc.
I told my dermatologisyt about it and low and behold... " yes, you have Urticaria!"

I am not a doctor but wanted to share this info in the hope that i maybe able to trigger something who is suffering to ask their doctor, research the condition etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urticaria
http://www.allergy-clinic.co.uk/food-allergy/food-additives/

As a result of my diagnosis i have cut out all preservatives, artificial food colours and sulphates. I am lucky that my other half is a good cook and likes cooking so is happy to eat fresh now.
We eat all food that comes from the fridge basically. If it lives on the shelf 9 times out of 10 it will contain preservatives to keep it from going off.
I take fexofenadine antihistamines daily and my symptoms have pretty much gonesmile

it is probably the best time to have this condition mainly due to the fact that most foods/drinks have to state what ingredients they have now AND what artificial ingredients they contain. Look out for :
-no artifical colours
-no artifical sweetners
-no artificail preservatives - make food shopping so much easier!!

If you have the same symptons that I had i would recommend cutting out artificial colours and preservatives. Give it a try. If you were like me and had tried everything including gluten free, dairy free, wheat free to try to find what the cause is , this will be a easy!

Try it - or at least ask your doctor smile
I hope anyone suffering will find this info useful.

x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now