Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Need urgent advice about CMP intolerance and lactose

(11 Posts)
JungleJunction Fri 17-Jun-11 13:47:34

I am an idiot. sad

My 5 month old has severe reflux and CMP intolerance which took several months of neocate and lots of meds to calm down. He is also teething and I (without thinking) have given him teetha powders several times over a few days. I have just seen on the pack they contain lactose. If he is CMPI is he then intolerant to lactose? Will this be what is making him so fractious and his nappies so offensive? Not the teething?

I am so upset about this. Have I just set him back massively?

JungleJunction Fri 17-Jun-11 13:48:15

Sorry for the double post.

thisisyesterday Fri 17-Jun-11 13:50:46

it's impossible to know, i would say
CMPI does not necessarily mean that he will be intolerant to lactose. but he might be.
however, fractiousness and vile nappies are a sure sign of teething, so it could well just be that.

why not cut out the remedies for a while and see what happens? give him a cold teething ring to chew on, and some calpol

freefrommum Fri 17-Jun-11 16:23:10

I agree with thisisyesterday, very difficult to tell as both have similar symptoms. Please don't beat yourself up about this though, you were trying to do the best for your baby who was suffering from teething pain, it was a simple mistake. Stop the powders and see what happens.

cardamomginger Fri 17-Jun-11 21:05:26

As I understand it true lactose intolerance/allergy is rare in babies and manifests within a couple of days after birth. CMP allergy is different. Even if lactose is a problem for your DS, I doubt you will have set him back massively. DD is CMP allergic and on neocate. We had an episode when we were abroad and I gave her a different baby cereal and she had a lot of stomach pain, crying etc. Despite reading the ingredients about 10 times it then turned out that there was an ingredient derived from cows' milk, although not actual milk. I phoned up her consultant almost in hysterics thinking I'd ruined all the hard work we'd done. I was told that an accident like that shouldn't make any real difference. Yes, there would be a day or so when she had gastric pain, etc. But that things would not revert back to the hell they had been and giving the neocate would help things calm down - it's not just a milk-free food, the ingredients actually help the gut to heal. And she's fine! Teething is miserable, so why not check with your consultant to see if the powders are likely to be a problem? Good luck - it's so hard. X

babybarrister Sat 18-Jun-11 20:53:04

posted on othe3r thread as well - just to say that as I understand it the problem with lactose is not the lactose in itself - which as others have pointed out is not a protein and therefore not the cause of an allergic reaction - but the fact that the lactose may well be derived from cow's milk and so effectively is contaminated with CMP ....

this is the same as re nut oils etc - it is not the oil which is the problem if it could be 100% pure, but the reality is that it will contain bits of nut protein ,...

JungleJunction Sat 18-Jun-11 21:47:42

thisisyesterday - thank you, I have thrown the powders away and got him a new teething ring. The ones I had seemed too big for his mouth! I still don't know whether he is reacting to the powders or teething, or perhaps ill. Who knows at this age?! All I know is I am changing a lot of nappies and have a very bad tempered baby!

freefrommum - thank you. I was feeling so bad about it, I told my husband and he looked blankly at me and said he would have made exactly the same mistake and probably have done it for longer.

cardamomginger - thank you. I was really worrying that this slip-up would send us back to the weeks of hysterical crying that we had before the neocate really soothed everything and his digestive system healed. Remembering those first three months when all he seemed to do was writhe in pain and cry just makes me feel ill. I thought we were heading back there with this cock-up. I hope he settles soon. Like I said earlier in this post, he is still having hideous nappies and is so grumpy but I really can't tell if the cause is the powders or something else! His reflux has also flared up again badly after a month or so of being virtually non-existent. He wakes in the night crying and arching again but I don't know if that is due to the powders or because his meds need re-calculating. I have left a message for his Dr to call me. It is hard isn't it? I know CMP isn't a big deal compared to a lot of things but it definitely makes things a bit more difficult.

babybarrister - thank you. I thought as much. It just never occurred to me to check stuff like teething powders! Oh well, at least I have learnt my lesson!

trixymalixy Sat 18-Jun-11 21:52:14

Lactose is very rarely from cow's milk. DS is very allergic to cow's milk and was fine with teetha powders and haven't had any problems with foods containing lactose e.g. Olives in brine for some reason have lactose in them.

Both my kids always had terrible nappies when they were teething.

trixymalixy Sat 18-Jun-11 21:54:37

Please don't beat yourself up about it!! I have made many mistakes giving allergic DS things he shouldn't have. It's very easily dine and it doesn't sound like you have in this case.

JungleJunction Sat 18-Jun-11 22:12:45

Thank you trixymalixy. Olives!???? I never would have thought they would have lactose in them!

I just wish I had the gift of telepathy...I really have no idea why DS has such foul nappies and will not let me put him down at the moment without screaming his head off. I thought it was teething but I can't see any teeth, I thought it was the powders but haven't given any for a few days now and the poo is getting worse. Maybe he just has a bug?

Knowing what it the right thing to do/treat seems so hit and miss at this age.

trixymalixy Sat 18-Jun-11 22:17:03

When my two were teething the teeth always seemed to appear days after they were upset/having bad nappies, not at the time.

You would be amazed at the things that contain milk e.g. Gravy !?!?!

It is hard when they are too little to tell you what's wrong. DS seemed to spend most of his first 6 months shrieking. Was very stressful and poor DS !!

HTH.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now