Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Need urgent advice about CMP intolerance and lactose

(5 Posts)
JungleJunction Fri 17-Jun-11 13:47:33

I am an idiot. sad

My 5 month old has severe reflux and CMP intolerance which took several months of neocate and lots of meds to calm down. He is also teething and I (without thinking) have given him teetha powders several times over a few days. I have just seen on the pack they contain lactose. If he is CMPI is he then intolerant to lactose? Will this be what is making him so fractious and his nappies so offensive? Not the teething?

I am so upset about this. Have I just set him back massively?

MrsBradleyCooper Fri 17-Jun-11 18:15:31

Aw, try not to worry too much.

My ds was CMP intolerant and had bad reflux, though not as bad as yours sounds.

I know that it is possible to be lactose intol, but not CMP intol, but I don't think it works the same in reverse.

I was severely CMP as a child and I had to wear a badge blush, and could not eat anything with lactose.

However, it is not the end of the world - it is difficult, and my mum had to read the labels of everything. I remember once I went to a birthday party and was violently sick because there was skimmed milk powder in the ingredients of the hot dogs they gave us.

The good news is that a lot of children grow out of it (me included, though I have recently redeveloped mild symptoms at 32 years of age!)

Hope he is ok - I am sure if you stop the teething powders he will be back to normal very quickly.

babybarrister Sat 18-Jun-11 20:48:48

do not beat yourself up - we all make mistakes - life is one continual "avoidance" battle. you have now learnt a valuable lesson and will watch out for lactose in future as sadly it is in A LOT of medication.I have also found out that milk protein is used in condoms! Re food, milk pwder is contained in lots of salamis, sausages, bread coating on fish and PLAIN crisps etc etc

do you have an epipen? antihistamine? I am sure that a little piriton will settle him and there will not be any long term effects I am sure [speaking as someone whose DS has had various reactions to hidden CMP in chorizo, biscuits, crisps....]

we just used bonjela etc for that very reason re teething

good luck and do not beat yourself up please

DorisIsAPinkDragon Sat 18-Jun-11 20:56:37

DD1 is dairy intolerant, we avoid teething powers but ended up using dentinox (think it' svery slightly stronger than bonjela) and shed loads of calpol (I really need shares in the stuff).

Don't beat yourself up 5 nearly six years in I came home today with fish in batter for tea (forgot to check) and lo and behold CMP gahh! she yummed it dowm and I on standby with painkillers for latert (abdo discomfort and constipation here)

JungleJunction Sat 18-Jun-11 22:03:50

MrsBradleyCooper -thank you. I was astonished that teething powders contained lactose but I don't know why it didn't occur to me to check - maybe because all we are giving him is neocate and prescription meds, I'm not in the checking frenzy yet iykwim? I am just gearing up to weaning. TBH I am dreading it. I hated it the first time around and that was with a baby who wasn't CMPI! Did your DS grow out of it? if he did, when did you notice an improvement?

babybarrister - thank you. I am realising that I need to check EVERYTHING. It just didn't occur to me. It is a bit depressing how many things contain milk powder. We don't have an epipen - it (only!) induces bloody diarrhoea and lots of pain not anaphalaxis. No-one has mentioned anti-histamines to us. Maybe because they weren't expecting me to be stupid enough to give him any bloody milk products at this point! I have noticed some excema recently though, I wondered about the cause of that, maybe it was the teething powders too? I will get some bonjela. I think i bought some calpol teething gel at the same time as the teetha - I had better check that too!

DorisIsAPinkDragon - thank you. I do love calpol! It works a treat doesn't it! Will also try dentinox if the calpol gel turns out not to be ok to use.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now