Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

have a laugh - a day in the life of an anaphylactic

(18 Posts)
babybarrister Wed 15-Jun-11 19:04:09

OK all you anaphylactics - I just have to tell you all about my day today with DS as you ladies are the only ones who understand just what an impact has - no-one else belives it I am sure grin ....

firstly DS could not have gone to nursery today as they have a mobile farm coming in and he is anaphylactic to cats, dogs and horses - of course I have no idea what his reaction might be to various other farm animals including pigs, guinea pigs etc etc but frankly I am not up for finding out whilst I am not there ....hmm

anyway - as it happens it did not matter anyway as at last I got through a notification of DS 2nd MMR which GP refused to do in surgery [DS allergic to egg and vaccine cultivated on egg] and so we went to hospital for it. I should say they were great and it is all fine and to be honest it was not me pushing for it to be done there but the GP, but the whole day has just made me realise that everyone else can never understand the implication of these f**** allergies.

Just watching the jab being done, knowing that there is an albeit small chance of an awful reaction is not really ideal to put it mildly ...

Anyway all is fine just thought I would vent share

youarekidding Wed 15-Jun-11 19:15:31

Glad all went well - your right about others not understanding the worry of 'what if'.

My day started with DS being grumpy and very very snotty. Being a PITA because he's agitated.

Getting out of the car and noticing pressure hives rash on his legs from car seat - a sure sign his histamine levels are high.

Following on fom him coming home even snottier with nice black rings around his eyes and hardly any voice and a slight whistling as he breathes.

Cue the ineveitable monitoring in case he suddenly goes anaphylatic.

10ml of chlorphenamine 3 hours ago and his usual 10ml cetirizine 1/2 hour ago should do the trick though. grin

babybarrister Wed 15-Jun-11 19:17:56

thanks and hope your DS feels better ....

youarekidding Wed 15-Jun-11 19:25:45

Thanks. Its hard cos on the one hand I feel for him suffering but on the other he's such a PITA and tries to make everyone feel as miserable I could string him up. grin

Weta Wed 15-Jun-11 19:54:52

Glad your day went ok BB, and sorry to hear about yours YAK!

As you say, only the rest of us understand really smile though I have a dear friend who has a condition that means she breaks her bones really easily, and it looks like her son has it too, and I totally related to her when she was telling me the world had always seemed quite a scary place to her!

babybarrister Wed 15-Jun-11 21:06:22

DH has just walked in - big guy, not given to tears .... just told me that he was welling up this afternoon in front of his boss talking about how he had held DS down whilst he was having his MMR this morning

I am really touched and also pleased as I always feel it is mainly me taking the load/being hysterical re the allergies ....

this is the first time it has really got to him even though he has been there during 2 or the 3 epipen episodes ....

freefrommum Wed 15-Jun-11 22:50:06

Oh I can so relate to your story on so many levels, particularly the bit about hubby - I get fed up with always feeling like the over-anxious parent. Have to say, think it was prob worth having MMR in hospital as my son was fine with 1st but reacted to 2nd - only hives and red flush on face but enough to send HV into panic! Oddly enough I wasn't panicked at all as I had his epi-pens etc but HV was unprepared (despite knowledge of medical history) and was running around the surgery trying to find an accurate adrenalin dosage chart for kids! Actually struck me as quite amusing at the time grin Definitely won't be having flu jab at the surgery next autumn tho!

Likeaninjanow Thu 16-Jun-11 15:53:53

Sorry to hear of those having bad days. Am slightly panicking now though, as the thought that DS2 will need his 2nd booster soon and I thought he'd be ok, as the first one was incident free.

Sounds like there's a chance this may not be the case.

I honestly could cry.

freefrommum Thu 16-Jun-11 16:18:14

Sorry *Likeaninjanow, didn't mean to scare you. Most children with egg allergy are fine with MMR but my son's allergy level is extremely high so that's prob why he had a reaction. Have a chat with the consultant if poss or the gp if not.

Jaspants Thu 16-Jun-11 16:26:32

I don't belong here, but saw this in active conversations.

I thought life was quite hard with a child with ASD, but reading your posts has made me realise that really I don't know I'm born, it must be so hard living on your nerves and anticipating possible reactions, let alone having to make tough decisions about the possible consequences of vax / non vax.

greenbananas Thu 16-Jun-11 16:52:33

Bless you, Jaspants. It's great when people really do try to understand smile smile

Babybarrister, hope you have had a better day today. Despite that lovely message from Jaspants, it's so very true that hardly anybody really 'gets' what living with these kinds of allergies is like. What a shame about the farm animals - isn't it horrible when DCs have to miss out on such 'ordinary' experiences? How unlucky that the farm visit came on the same day as the MMR.

youarekidding, how is your DS? (have just left you a long-ish message on your other thread)

freefrommum Thu 16-Jun-11 16:53:01

Jaspants I think having a child with any additional needs is tough. I work in the learning disabilities/ASD field and have so much admiration for all the parents I meet dealing with such difficult situations on a daily basis. It's all such an uphill struggle, isn't it?

babybarrister Thu 16-Jun-11 17:07:38

Thank you Jaspants smile

yesterday was not exactly bad just a little wearing and makes us realise there is very little one can take for granted ....

eskimomama Sun 19-Jun-11 10:11:52

I'm with you BB - just about to go on holidays with MIL who thinks we are over reacting with DD's egg allergy. Kind of afraid she might give her some "just to up her tolerance" or some cr*p....
We heard all sorts of super-annoying "over reaction" comments (or looks!) after I had spent 10 days looking for a childminder willing to take a toddler with allergies...(unsuccessfully, and anyway their houses were so full of allergens I'd never leave her with them, but that's another story).

Now ladies you kind of scare me about the 2nd MMR booster - I was told by various allergists/GPs there was zero risk as the amount is so small, and her first went really well despite her very high allergy.....
is the booster different???

youarekidding Sun 19-Jun-11 19:32:51

Well greenbananas would have said DS fine a few hours ago.

Still a snotty mess. Went out today to local family park (season ticket holders) with a friend and I noticed as sat by some fir trees I was getting bunged up.

DS has ketchup allergy and although mild was told after year try it on his arm and if no reaction then he can try it. So no arm reaction a few weeks ago. Sat in cafe at park and other kids had ketchup and DS asked to try some. I say he can have 1 mouthful on a chip and he dipped in 2 chips then decided he actually didn't want it. It was a huge step as he's extremely nervous about being around it. He was fine but a few hours later started behaving appallingly and being really rude and not like him at all. Cue early dinner and bed as a consequence. I thought he was asleep and 1/2 hour ago he came into lounge crying and has a very slight hives rash on his neck and 2 small ones on his face. He has had his usual ceteirizine but seems extremely bunged up - which of course could be the crying too.

So ketchup? pollen? Stress? WHAT??? He's fine but why??

So I wanna cry because 1) I feel so bad about his behaviour (it was why my Dbro took him out) 2) because I hate seeing him so upset although I get thats the point of punishment (make sure they don't do it again) and 3) mainly because I know his behaviour could be because he's having a slight reaction.

It appears he has what they call a secondary reaction - as in starts slow then he implodes. grin

Sorry rant over as you were.

Hope everyone elses DC's are OK.

xx

babybarrister Mon 20-Jun-11 20:15:22

what is it in the ketchup though? DS allergic to celery and screams if given ketchup as Heinz has celery in it - what else could it be?

youarekidding Mon 20-Jun-11 21:28:49

Not celery - he tried (and hated!) that at a friends a few months ago and didn't react. (luckily as didn't know about the celery in ketchup then!)

Not sure but it was Heinz butnot always been heinz though that he's eaten.

It was not a bad reaction at all just a few very light hives on neck and 2 on his face and was hours after. Just seemed a coincidence that he'd had 2 chips dipped in it (about 1ml max) earlier.

Cons pead thinks maybe a combination of ingrediants but I just think he's a mystery. grin

He isn't in any way as badly allergic as anyones DC's here, but when he's had reactions they've come out of the blue.

greenbananas Tue 21-Jun-11 07:09:48

youarekidding, hope he's okay now. So hard for you not to know what he's reacting to... sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now