Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Shea butter and excema- has it helped anyone else?

(3 Posts)
WottingerAndWottingerAreDead Sun 12-Jun-11 19:09:38

DS got excema as a baby- we did the steroids and emollients (epaderm etc...) and it never really cleared up, but gradually got less and less. Is now back with a vengeance and DS able to scratch like there's no tomorrow.

Wanted to try something a bit more 'nourishing' if poss for DD, should she get it, and lo and behold she did. I've been using the steroids if needed, but as far as I can tell, the shea butter does a damn fine job at the moisturising and seems to be helping excema clear up too??

Has anyone else tried it and had good results?

vintageteacups Sun 12-Jun-11 22:52:48

I use it (pure shea butter) sometimes on my lips but have to say that the moisturising effect doesn't last that long - perhaps half an hour max.

I've put pure shea butter on my hands that have bad eczema and it hasn't really helped, other than softened it for a while.

I find vaseline works wonders.

vintageteacups Tue 14-Jun-11 09:33:46

Well, after reading your post, I decided to put some shea butter on my forehead, which is currently rash-like and dry with a type of eczema. I woke up this mmorning and it's calmed down a lot and doesn't look as red and bumpy.

So hey presto - you've helped find another way to calm it down. Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now