Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

cheese intolerance, could I try other sorts of cheese?

(7 Posts)
shouldbeelswhere Thu 09-Jun-11 13:06:35

My DD has intolerance to cheese (stomachache, diarrhoea, mucus stool (sorry to be so graphic!) and ever since we're known we've not allowed her any cheese. The problem is she loves it and says "just tiny bit". I gave in and gave her just a slither about 2cm long from cheese grater = usual reaction. Do I dare try any other type of cheese (by other, I mean other than cheddar)...say riccota or feta? what about vege cheese? She's fine with all other dairy products so not sure what it is in the cheese that she cannot tolerate. (she has a severe nut allergy)...Any thoughts welcome

brokenarrow Thu 09-Jun-11 16:28:32

If I remember rightly, goat or ewe cheese are allowed in non dairy diets and much milder for the digestive tract, so probably worth trying, as long as you can ensure they haven't been anywhere near nuts, i.e, probably the less artisanal the better.
Etorki ( a bit like strong cheddar), brebis, fetta, manchego, Peccorino ( a bit like Parmesan), Ricotta.

shouldbeelswhere Thu 09-Jun-11 18:05:27

oh ok, thank you. I'll be brave and try...

Tolalola Thu 09-Jun-11 18:09:09

Agree my sister was allergic to cheese but could eat goat or sheep cheese. There are some lovely ones about so definitely give it a go.

shouldbeelswhere Thu 09-Jun-11 20:56:58

thank you, you've made me braver!

CantSleepWontSleep Fri 10-Jun-11 07:07:10

Goat or ewe cheese aren't routinely allowed in a non dairy diet, as the proteins are too similar to cows, but a small proportion of children will manage to tolerate them better.

You can get soya cheese, but it is pretty grim IMO.

shouldbeelswhere Fri 10-Jun-11 08:17:28

she's fine with other dairy...maybe I'll try the soya and see what she thinks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now