Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

New rast!! Betterbetterbetter!!:))

(3 Posts)
Comma2 Fri 03-Jun-11 21:56:56

DD 18 mths had her 2nd rast and most of her values got better over the last year! Peanut is from 8.5 down to 1.5!! She still needs her epipen, but it has got to mean that her likelihood of anaphylactic shock is lower, doesn't it?

All her other nuts are around the same 1.5 value. Green pea, too. :P

Milk is down from 4 to 0.5, but her skin test 6 mths ago was 3+?? So the dietician said she still couldn't have milk, but it's got to mean she's getting better!!!

I am so happy I could cry!

freefrommum Sun 05-Jun-11 18:09:06

That's good news! Just please bear in mind that these tests are only a guide and can sometimes be a bit misleading so try not to get your hopes up too much. Sorry, don't want to sound like a party-pooper just don't want you to be too disappointed if things don't quite go as you'd hoped. Sadly, the only reliable way to etablish if an allergy has been outgrown is via a food challenge but this would normally only be attempted once skin prick/rast tests have improved so definitely a step in the right direction! I'm quite jealous as my son's last rast test result for milk was over 100!! (the scale only goes up to 100!) sad His wheat and egg results were also in the 80s so no sign of any improvement yet but there's always hope!

Comma2 Tue 07-Jun-11 19:48:27

Oh Freefrommum, sorry about the high numbers of ds. sad

My doctor-friend told me the rast might just be better because dd hasn't had contact with allergens- so no IgE, but can go up again the second she touches allergen. Ugh, anyway, rather down than up, she went from class IV to class III for the nuts, that's got to be better shock-wise, no? (Please say yes! No-problem friend is right, as comparing peanut-fed baby to kept-from all peanut traces for a -year baby.)

She still has a year to outgrow with some chance, I'm holding on to that. Not much else to do, unfortunately.

Interestingly, my allergist, who was somehow involved in the peanut-vaccination study said that isn't going to go anywhere, but that they are thinking about genetically modifying peanuts so no allergen. Fine with me!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: