Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Flying with medication and the restrictions on taking liquids on planes?

(11 Posts)
RantAboutToStart Thu 02-Jun-11 22:11:47

My DD has allergies and needs to have antihistamines with her, we'll need to take them on the plane with us when we go on holiday (flying Virgin Atlantic) but I'm not sure how that will work now that you are restricted about taking liquid on planes. Does anyone know what the situation is?

tiredgranny Thu 02-Jun-11 22:13:58

u need letter from dr stating what it is n y always travel with insulin cannot go in hold to low temp so quite bit 2 wk holiday dr gave letter also contact virgin tell them

trixymalixy Thu 02-Jun-11 22:16:00

Prescription medicines are not subject to the limits. We have a letter for DSs epipen, but not for his piriton.

RantAboutToStart Thu 02-Jun-11 22:47:34

Excellent, I'll make sure we have our prescription with us. I thought it was going to be ok and then someone said to me that we wouldn't be able to take it on the plane without a doctors note. Thanks.

fluffles Thu 02-Jun-11 22:49:25

presumably you won't need more than 100ml on the plane?? what is one dose?

if you decant into a 100ml container (can buy in boots) then you're well within the restrictions.

RantAboutToStart Thu 02-Jun-11 23:00:16

Fluffles Excellent point, we'd not need more than 100ml. Will they let me take a medicine in a non medicine bottle? I could beg my pharmacist to put me a proper prescription sticker on a small bottle maybe.

youarekidding Thu 02-Jun-11 23:10:16

I take 2 small plastic bottles with measured doses on the plane (chlorphenamine), then some cetirizine tablets in case of delay repeat perscription sheet and then the ceterizine (liquid) and chlorphenamine bottles wrapped up in towels in the suitcase.

Not travelled since having epi-pen but I guess from trixis post you need a letter?

tinytalker Fri 03-Jun-11 00:34:01

We have travelled a few times with my dds medications. Twice to the USA and also within Europe. We carry epipens, tablets and a small bottle with a single dose of antihistamine. You have to carry a repeat prescription and we also have a doctors note stating my daughters conditions and the need to carry these medications. We have never been stopped or questioned or asked to show the letter! But I do feel more confidant having them with me. Previous posters are correct you cannot have more than 100ml of liquid medications so a small bottle is a must or they will confiscate. I have some small single dose bottles for sale and Epipen pouches etc. PM me if you want the web address.

youarekidding Fri 03-Jun-11 17:45:58

I am the poster that bought the bag and bottles from you tinytalker (ive name changed!) I ordered them from your website and mentioned it here when you said it was you. grin

I have to say tiny also gave me advice here about carrying measured doses instead of bottles around all the time and its made such a difference - I also ordered a bag which carries epi pens and measured bottles easily.

I may be ordering another bag soon as when DS starts juniors he may be having the 'carry around pen' and school have spare and spare at home/ on me. And maybe more bottles as if he's responsible for chlorphenamine on school trips he needs a 'plastic' measured dose not glass. wink

Anyway I digress - op enjoy your holiday btw I forgot to say that earlier. blush

vanessasmum Fri 03-Jun-11 23:38:27

I have often taken 500gram excema cream tubs with me in hand luggage... it's the individual airport security policy that varies. Some say it is ok with a prescription label on, others say they want a prescription with a doctors signature on it. I spent a long time looking up airport telephone numbers in advance, and could not get any, tried emailing airline company and airport, and nobody ever got back to me. I suggest checking in early so you have plenty of time to get through security.

PigletJohn Sat 04-Jun-11 13:52:32

when asked, I say I have a prescription medicine with me (it is an injection), just one dose which I might need during the flight, and they always say, that's OK. I have never been asked to show a prescription or evidence that I am not making it up, which surprises me. However I do take it in the sealed packet with the dispensing label on it, just in case, and I have the rest of my supply in my luggage (not carry-on) which they don't care about.

I put it in my jacket pocket which goes through the X-ray scanner befeore boarding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now