Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

nutramigen alternative

(10 Posts)
mum2twoloudbabies Thu 02-Jun-11 20:54:32

ds is bf and have been advised by dietician to use nutramigen to cook with and supplement if I want to give a bottle. However, ds hates it can't say I blame him just the smell makes me boak.

Has anybody had the same problem? Did you switch to an alternative?

WizzyBizzy Thu 02-Jun-11 21:00:57

Hello. We were in this position a year ago. I had to start weaning DS off boob as I was going back to work and I thought it was never going to be possible! I did it over a period of two weeks - using a mix of boob milk and nutramigen - basically started off with 10% nutramigen, 90% boob milk, and gradually increasing the amount of nutramigen day by day. Eventually he was able to have 100% nutramigen. As it happens I carried on breastfeeding for 2 feed a day for quite a while after that - so I wasn't doing the mix at every feed, just some feeds (started with the bedtime bottle IIRC). I never ever used nutramigen in cooking - I used oat milk (very low calorie though, so don't use it as a main ingredient). You're not supposed to use rice milk and a lot of people allergic to cow's milk are also allergic to soy, but oat milk worked for us. xAgree with you though, nutramigen smells rank - DS has always been quite willing to eat savoury food, and I used to give him lots of things like sardines (for the calcium/iron) and he loved them from being tiny - I always put it down to the fact that it must have tasted much better than the nutramigen!!

babybarrister Fri 03-Jun-11 08:35:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mspotatochip Fri 03-Jun-11 08:37:19

pepti junior seemed the most acceptable to ds until her reacted to it sad He has neocate with vanilla extract to take the edge off.............am awaiting vanilla allergy

babybarrister Fri 03-Jun-11 10:28:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

UnseenAcademicalMum Fri 03-Jun-11 15:48:34

We found neocate made ds2 sick sad. I think it is just a case of trying all the alternatives and seeing which suits the individual child.

londonmum123 Fri 03-Jun-11 20:44:00

Hi. My daughter was prescribed nutramigen at 7 months and hated it - would scream blue murder. The advice on here was to warm it up and mix it with strawberry nesquick then gradually reduce the amount until she took straight nutramigen. It worked a treat. She's 22 months now and loves the stuff - sticks her fingers in the powder and declares "nice". I still hate the smell! I used oatly to cook with though as couldn't bear the smell of nutramigen.

mum2twoloudbabies Fri 03-Jun-11 20:51:21

Thanks all, think I will speak to dietician about perhaps a less vile option and adding vanilla or something to it.

I like the idea of cooking with a formula because of all the added vitamins etc. but not if it means he won't eat anything.

mspotatochip i know that feeling I am currently so uptight about his allergies that sometimes I can't figure out whether he just doesn't like something I've cooked or whether it's bothering him.

Roll on his allergy tests so I'll know what we're dealing with.

trixymalixy Sat 04-Jun-11 14:05:50

What londonmum said. Nesquick and cook with oatly.

freefrommum Sat 04-Jun-11 20:15:26

I agree with WizzyBizzy, we introduced Nutramigen very gradually by mixing it with his original formula so you could try mixing it with breast milk and gradully increasing the amount of nutramigen. My DS is now on Neocate but this is equally as nasty tasting to start with, takes time to get used to. They do make a blackcurrant flavour Neocate which some kids like but mine hated so we stuck to the unflavoured. Good luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now