Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is it ok to give 7m DS porridge made with oat milk?

(5 Posts)
FlingonTheValiant Mon 16-May-11 12:40:48

He's dairy intolerant, so paed suggested using neocate. But it tastes foul and understandably he won't eat it. I can't express enough BM to make it with that. Is it OK for him to have it with oat milk? Someone mentioned I could use it once he's 12m, but I'm not replacing his milk supply with the stuff, just want to use it on his brekkie.

Bunbaker Mon 16-May-11 12:46:11

If you are breastfeeding you might be able to get away with making it with just water.

FlingonTheValiant Mon 16-May-11 12:50:49

I wondered about that. He's still feeding 4 hourly, even overnight, so it's not like he's going short there. Thanks smile

Jayan Thu 19-May-11 12:14:54

Hi, I breastfed my ds until 12 months and gave him porridge mixed with oatmilk. I also used it in cooking. He absolutely loves it now and started on it as a main drink at 12 months. This was okayed with the dietitian as he wouldn't go near the nutramigen he was prescribed.

UnseenAcademicalMum Thu 02-Jun-11 23:39:43

I give my ds2 oat milk mixed with oat cream to drink, with about 2/3rds oat milk and 1/3rd cream. This gives a mix which is roughly equivalent to gold top milk fat/calorie-wise. Obviously not OK as a main drink under 1, but I'd have thought fine for cooking with. Taste-wise oat milk is probably going to be better than water for porrige.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now