Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Has anybody tried Skin Salvation for eczema?

(32 Posts)
Ponders Mon 21-Mar-11 11:10:43

featured in the DM today

it's not cheap - 30ml pot is £7.99, 60 ml £12.99, 120ml £18.99 - worth it if it works though!

purepotions website

and the article says you can get it on prescription.

Has it helped anybody on here?

jollydiane Mon 21-Mar-11 13:35:13

Sorry no, but I would offer you the following:

Avenno. Very good. My other tip remove all air freshners and see if things improve.

Wishing you well
JD

Ponders Mon 21-Mar-11 14:44:18

thanks, jd smile

This is for grown-up DS who has flare-ups from time to time - we have tried Aveeno Daily Moisturising Lotion & Skin Relief Moisturising Lotion; I love it,
he quite liked it but wasn't overwhelmed! Which variety do you use?

He usually fixes the worst of it with steroid ointment - he doesn't like using cream at all, so most of the nice soothing products are no use for him - I just wondered if this herby stuff might be different. (Part of the problem is pure dryness, he doesn't seem to want to bother with daily moisturising.)

No air-fresheners, & all his laundry is done with unscented products.

jollydiane Mon 21-Mar-11 18:34:59

I use the body wash and the moisutising cream. Have you offered giving him a massage with the cream? Everyone likes a massage so that could be part of the bed time routine (apologies if he is too old for that) wink

Ponders Mon 21-Mar-11 19:57:14

he's 22! so a bit old for a soothing bedtime massage from his mum grin

I'll have a look at your 2 products anyway, thank you smile

jollydiane Mon 21-Mar-11 20:17:01

22! Oh dear I got that wrong, still it made me lol.

Olihan Mon 21-Mar-11 20:22:51

It is the only stuff that keeps DS2's eczema at bay BUT it does need applying at least once a day to be properly effective, in the same way as any emollient does.

I think the different is that it's a balm rather than a lotion - it's very thick and needs time to soak in but it moisturises far better than anything else I've tried and we've been through most things now.

Interesting that you can get it on prescription, I wonder if our PCT will do that. I buy the big pot and it does last for ages so it's not too bad value- for- money- wise.

Ponders Mon 21-Mar-11 21:00:16

oh thanks, Olihan, that's useful to know - backs up the DM piece! Balm sounds good, more like ointment than cream.

I think I'll go ahead & buy a small pot anyway - if he doesn't like it someone else will use it up, & if he does I can send him to the GP to see if he can wangle a big pot on prescription smile

Olihan Mon 21-Mar-11 22:03:54

Buy the diddy pot - it's great as lipbalm too!

AngelDog Mon 21-Mar-11 22:06:24

We tried it on my DS at around 9 months. It didn't seem to work any better than anything else, but was good as a barrier type balm to use before swimming / playing in water as the water just runs off it.

Ponders Mon 21-Mar-11 22:44:27

The 30ml pot came out at £10.99 with p&p shock so I've ordered the 60ml (only £15.99...)

Angeldog, thanks, I think he would find it useful as a barrier - he has to have a major knee op later this month, no exercise for several weeks but then swimming will be the best exercise, & chlorine doesn't help at all.

AngelDog Tue 22-Mar-11 13:09:25

Yes, it'd be good for that. One caution - it can stain clothing (the label does warn about that IIRC).

cheesesarnie Tue 22-Mar-11 13:12:42

we used to use dream cream from lush.ds's called it there magic cream.
i read the dm piece too(can i point out-i am not a daily wail reader,someone gave me the article).ask your gp if theyve heard of it.

Ponders Tue 22-Mar-11 16:22:21

most of his clothes are already stained one way or another, angeldog (he is a student... wink)

cheesesarnie, I must point out that I am not a DM reader either shock

(& jd, forgot to mention that the massage idea made me laugh too!)

AngelDog Tue 22-Mar-11 22:26:22

grin

EvaAnna Wed 30-Mar-11 10:15:04

I have fallen for the hype and bought some - here is the link that someone sent me:

www.purepotions.biz/shop/page/2?sessid=t3Eg4pCNtMIu1zKx2spGEi9JewX8UpPEKCV4YAKbXEc63DYNvYo7m6AUuXZCBXr1&shop_param=

It was £19 incl postage for the 60ml pot with some bath oil...

fingers crossed it does some good - DD2 eczema/itch is extremely bad at the moment. I'd try ANYTHING to see if it helped. Up every hour last night scratching, crying with the itch. Very hard work. She is 4 and at school so she must be so tired today.

Chezbo Wed 30-Mar-11 22:43:12

I've got this on prescription for my 2yr old. Sounds good but no chemist in my area can get hold of it. I live in Manchester so if anyone knows of a chemist that can get it please let me know. I've paid £21.50 for it (Inc.delivery) for now direct from pure potions. I've called boots who said they won't be stocking it anytime soon, a very helpful lady at co-op rang around a few of her suppliers and couldn't find it and I've also called rowlands chemist who have never heard of it. Any ideas?

Fibreoptic Mon 18-Apr-11 18:35:38

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Gems999 Mon 02-May-11 18:35:06

Message deleted

Livrosejoanne Fri 13-May-11 17:51:40

I bought skin salvation for my 18month old daughter and can honestly say it's the best thing we've tried. Prior to this we had been using trimovate steroid cream on and off as it was the only thing that would help ease the scratching and inflammation. Her whole back used to be covered in it and the skin salvation has healed most of it. I use it morning and night and although she still occasionally scratches it is nowhere near as bad. I know every baby is different but it really helped Olivia. This is my first post and registered specifically to reply on this subject as I know eczema can be a nightmare for baby and parents. Hope it helps your little one.

Fibreoptic Tue 24-May-11 20:59:11

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

MumMakes5 Thu 02-Jun-11 18:55:23

I couldn't get this on the NHS even though the newspaper article regarding this product says you can, Daily Mail, March 2011. On the Skin Salvation, (www.lovelula.com) website it lists the ingredients. They all look harmless to me, even the alcohol-I suppose that's a preservative?? I have tried each of these ingredients, except nettle and hemp oil, individually on my son and they gave temporary relief, especially the chickweed cream. I am ordering this cream as I feel that these ingredients together will give him lasting relief and replenish his skin. I have also ordered cardiospermum gel as I have read good reviews on this product from Sri Lanka. I got it online for £9.95. Anyway, I think the steroid creams are history. Hats off to the mum that invented this cream, skin salvation, it's a shame that the doctor's don't prescribe natural creams, apparently they have a budget of what they prescribe so they will almost always prescribe the cheap stuff. Good luck to all those who are looking for a cure of this terrible condition, keep persevering and please share what works for you and what doesn't. Thanks.

loveursoul Mon 06-Jun-11 19:20:43

If you go onto the purepotions website you can download a GP pack which tells you all about how you can get it on prescription

tiredgranny Mon 06-Jun-11 19:25:45

porridge oats in a stocking run bath water through very good exzema

pointydog Mon 06-Jun-11 19:34:43

Yep, dd2 has tried it. Not impressed. Very thick and a tiny pot that won't last long if you have seriously dry skin.

Dd2 has just started using Dermol shower emollient and it is utterly fantastic for her. It just moisturises all her skin without the lengthy post-shower moisturising marathon we usually do. Far far simpler and more effective.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now