Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Air purifiers - pet fluff, dander and dust

(13 Posts)
ShirtyGerty Tue 15-Feb-11 16:49:40

My DH has a house rabbit. He's just begun to molt and I'm suffering from itchy eyes and scratchy throat etc. Not helped by being 38 weeks preg.

I was thinking of getting an air purifier to keep down the levels of rabbit fluff, dander and dust that are wafting about.

Does anyone have experience of air purifiers? Do they actually work? Do they help? What's the best one to get?

nottirednow Wed 16-Feb-11 10:54:12

Message withdrawn

RBezz Wed 16-Feb-11 11:42:35

Whichever air purifier you get, make sure it has a HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) filter.

The original HEPA filter was designed in the 1940s and was used in the Manhattan Project to prevent the spread of airborne radioactive contaminants. They have further developed and now some are also acting as "virus washers" removing harmful viruses from the air. H1N1 is an example.

Washable filters are a good solution, but they're not quite as good as (admittedly more costly) replaceable filters.

It's not just the filter efficiency that one should consider: the CADR or Clean Air Delivery Rate is also very important. If you have an efficient filter, but it's just not filtering enough air, quickly enough, you'll still be breathing fluffy air!

Make sure also you check that the purifier you buy is rated for the size of room in which you intend to use it.

On another note, you might also consider a vacuum clearner with a HEPA filter. These are now fairly widly available and ensure you're not sucking up dust one end, and pumping it out the other!!!

Look for products with AllergyUK approval.

midnightexpress Wed 16-Feb-11 11:45:26

Just marking my place, as we're thinking of getting one too.

I don't think the bionaire ones have a HEPA filter, do they, because the incinerate the particles or something <vague rambling>

dustmiteman Wed 16-Feb-11 12:28:43

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

nottirednow Wed 16-Feb-11 12:29:23

Message withdrawn

RBezz Wed 16-Feb-11 13:07:48

I think this is a useful resource:

www.cadr.org/consumer-rate.htm

PigletJohn Wed 16-Feb-11 14:11:42

I use Ionising air purifiers. Although it does have a quiet fan and a filter for large fluff and dust, it mostly works by ionising the air (like static) so that the particles stick together in clumps and fall out of the air. If you look at a telly or PC you will find it has got lots of dust stuck to it, and a black film on the screen, caused in a similar way.

Only drawback is that the particles from the air collect on the floor in front of it, or stick the the adjacent wall, and have to be cleaned off every week or two. If you have a vinyl floor or put it on a kitchen worktop it will be easier. You won't believe they work until you see the pattern of dirt and dust forming.

They are sold under the Flixonase name or Lloyds Chemist own-brand and you can often get them for next to nothing on Fleabay. They really do work. One will do an average room.

PigletJohn Wed 16-Feb-11 14:17:20

forgot to say, those children's allergy syrups like Piriton, Piriteze and the own-brand products which are identical (same Product Licence number) are very good for the itchy eyes and other allergies. I take them in summer for hayfever, and found I don't swell up from insect bites, or cough from dust, either.

ShirtyGerty Wed 16-Feb-11 14:50:14

Thank you for the advice - definitely going to get one. Will let you know how we get on.

RBezz Wed 16-Feb-11 18:22:32

I think the answer here is that ionising purifiers and HEPA filter air purifiers all work. Some better than others.

If one is mildly affected, (although it's never mild for the afflicted !) then perhaps the ionisers will work ok. For adults and kids with greater sensitivities, HEPA air purifiers, and particularly models with a high CADR rate, are significantly more effective.

Personally, where possible, I would far prefer to control the immediate environment than constantly give my daughter various antihistamine preparations however effective they might be.

midnightexpress Thu 17-Feb-11 15:50:43

Yes RBezz, me too, that's why we're considering getting one. I took ds1 to the doctor about his almost permanent snuffling and she just doled out a giant bottle of anti-histamine. No discussion of possible causes, or non-medical solutions. hmm

RBezz Mon 30-May-11 10:42:04

Just revisited this and forgot to add that whilst ionising air purifiers are widely used and sold, they do produce small amounts of ozone which can be a respiratory irritant for some

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: