Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Allergy to Alcohol?????

(11 Posts)
sowhatis Mon 10-Jan-11 17:46:43

Anyone else got an alcohol allergy?

im off to dr next week to confirm, but from what i have found it seems to be an allergy.

i came out in hives on xmas day as i had champagne (but it was after 2 bottles spread over the whole day), so quantity was huge for me.

i had an ameretto a week later - just one, and more hives and itchy skin with a banging headache and felt awful the next day.

had another amaretto the other night, after one i felt dizzy and like i had a hangover, and awful all the next day - this was to def see if its alcohol.

I had obstetric cholestasis when preg, and wonder if my liver ever returned back to normal.

should say it isnt a huge issue as i dont drink v often, and when i do its normally minimal. (apart from xmas day, but i was cooking for 12!!)

anyone got any advice or suffer like this?

TIA

mousymouse Mon 10-Jan-11 17:49:32

maybe it is another ingredient?
I react badly to the sulfur which is added to stop food/wine from discolouring.

NoLadyButManyBubbasAndBumps Mon 10-Jan-11 17:50:43

I used to get full-on hayfever like symptoms with certain wines. Unfortunately the doc's won't say anything helpful, other than avoid it!

btw, while cheap wines brought on the sneezingand itching, proper champagne was okay

GoldFrakkincenseAndMyrrh Mon 10-Jan-11 17:54:04

My ex housemate was allergic to alcohol. She had symptoms very much like yours.

CuppaTeaJanice Mon 10-Jan-11 17:58:09

I get a really tight chest, like a clamp has been placed around it, when I drink certain types of alcohol. Lots of times I've had to undo my bra in the pub! blush

Luckily Baileys, Malibu and Bacardi Breezers don't seem to create the same symptom, so I don't have to be totally teetotal!

sowhatis Mon 10-Jan-11 18:15:08

Thanks all.

I would just be interested to know if it is alcohol, thats why im hoping the Dr can do a test or something?? The reactions i have had have put me off even trying to drink anything now - to see if another alcoholic drink reacts the same - as i just felt so so ill after it.

i drank rose wine on holiday and dont recall having any serious reaction, but did have itchy skin the next day - i had previously put it down to the sun?! so maybe......oneday.....ill try that again.

im hoping i can have a drink, as it is nice occassionaly.

Cuppateajanice - that sounds awful, v scary. pleased to hear there are some things you can still drink!

will also look into the sulfur thing aswell.

Thanks again!

VoldemortsNipple Mon 10-Jan-11 18:21:32

Not much help but, I used to break out in a hives type rash after drinking alcohol.

I went to Malaysia when I was 17 and caught Malaria. It lay dormant for 12 months before I became ill. It was during this time that I had the reaction.

The malaria bug sits dormant in the spleen so it must have been reacting with the alcohol.

Has never happened since

sowhatis Mon 10-Jan-11 18:55:06

Thank you Voldemort, I want to see Dr to rule out anything else as I generally am not feeling at my best recently.

auntevil Tue 11-Jan-11 14:26:46

Are you intolerant to anything else? My DS is intolerant to fructose - amongst other things. He was told that if he continues into adulthood with this, drinks such as wine might be a problem due to the grapes. There is also a fruit sugar list with most offending fruits with high fructose: sugar levels, so you could be more intolerant to one fruit than another. This is just a thought as it is another ingredient in some alcohol that could be a trigger.

sowhatis Tue 11-Jan-11 18:47:05

thank you auntevil. i dont think im allergic to anything else.

i do have a 'yeast' intolerance - so avoid white bread 99% of time, and generally dont eat any bread, although can get away with some other things containing yeast.

apart from ALL antibiotics, which proves a pain as ive had a chest infection since oct that i cant fully clear.

will certainly look into this though with dr.

nightcat Tue 11-Jan-11 19:25:19

ask for liver/pancreas enzymes test, sounds like some enzymes breaking alcohol down are not working as they used to (can happen with age)
NB. the stuff in wines is sulphites which can also cause a reaction

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: