Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Nanny goat formula

(9 Posts)
papillonrouge Sun 09-Jan-11 10:12:28

Posting this on both the allergies and feeding boards...

I am pretty sure my ds (6.5mo) has a cows milk protein allergy. This is undiagnosed as we are waiting for a referral but he has been ebf until 6mo when we tried him on some formula mixed with baby rice. He instantly vomitted and came up in hives all over his face and neck. Yesterday I treid putting a blob of milk from my cereal bowl on his forehead and within minutes it was red and blistered. He has had excema from about 3.5mo and my brother was dairy allergic as a baby.

I am trying to express as much bm as possible but find this a real drag and would love to give formula occasionally. I understand that goats milk formula is controversial and have read lots of the previous threads on here. Three questions really:

1) I get the impression that the main concern with goats milk formula is that if your baby is cows milk allergic then he is likely to be goats milk allergic too. Is this the only concern? If so, I am happy to buy some and do a skin test.

2) Anyone out there who has a cows milk allergic baby who has tried goats milk? Did your lo have the same reaction or did they tolerate the goats milk? And I am referring specifically to allergic babies here, not ones with intolerance.

3) If goats milk formula is a no go what else would you recommend?

Thanks for any help!

strawberrycake Sun 09-Jan-11 10:23:51

I'd go straight into the gp's and explain the problem, mine is willing to prescribe neocate before dietician gets in touch. Wait much longer and it will be nigh on impossible to introduce a 'special' formula if needed.

papillonrouge Sun 09-Jan-11 20:01:31

Thanks strawberrycake - why do you say impossible? Because it tastes so bad?! GP was rubbish when I went initially, going again this week so I at least have piriton in the house

strawberrycake Sun 09-Jan-11 21:14:14

The taste is very bad, older ones are much more likely to refuse it.

papillonrouge Tue 11-Jan-11 21:10:51

In case anyone picks this up on a search, my ds cannot have goats milk either. Did a skin test and was red and lumpy within a minute.

babybarrister Wed 12-Jan-11 18:36:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

papillonrouge Thu 13-Jan-11 10:20:56

Thanks babybarrister. Did your ds have any other allergies? Did you see a consultant? Was it worthwhile? (I have heard that allergy screening can be fairly random in its accuracy). Did you bf at all or just go with the formula that worked? It is a minefield - all the milk subsitututes seem to be pretty controversial and medical advice hard to come by

rps29 Thu 13-Jan-11 20:04:50

This is really helpful advice babybarrister -I will tell my dw.
It is really annoying having a ds with a cmp allergy but I would advise you all against hitting your head against brick walls!
Together we can help one another by writing about our own experiences and then everyone else reading them and learning.

babybarrister Thu 13-Jan-11 20:48:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now