Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What supplements does your cmp allergy child have?

(9 Posts)
strawberrycake Sun 26-Dec-10 21:58:34

Mine has each day:

10ml Calcium sandoz
0.3ml abidec (as eats less than 500ml of milk a day)
2.5ml piriton (keeps wheezing and coughing to a reasonable level)

He's on Neocate LCP and 7 months old.

Is it the norm to need supplements to his diet? Could they be avoided if I was very careful with his diet? Dietician says he needs it as milk can no longer meet his calcium/ vitamin needs.

Not a big deal, just a faff getting it all into him. Obviously I will give him what he needs.

He's 98th centile for height, just below 2nd for weight.

mspotatochip Mon 27-Dec-10 09:41:39

My 18 month old is under dietician and paed for cmp allergy and persistent mild anaemia. He is breastfed and has neocate lcp (was switched to active but didnt agree with him) and minadex 2,5ml daily. He would have iron liquid but it gives him diahorrhea. Even with breastfeeding I am happier supplementing as I was horrified when we found he was anaemic.

He is a fabulaous eater but always hungry as we struggle to get enough fat / protein into him. Last time we checked he was on 25th percentile for weight 80 odd for height.

ilovemydogandMrObama Mon 27-Dec-10 09:45:37

Neocate Advance, Duocal

strawberrycake Mon 27-Dec-10 10:29:31

ilovemydog- it was suggested to us concentrating his milk rather than using a calorie supplement (we never did for various reasons). Despite where ds is on the charts he doesn't look very underweight, he has no fat rolls and he's a little ribby, but not unhealthly so. He looks lean but is strong.

Calcium seemed to be the big concern with his diet.

auntevil Tue 28-Dec-10 09:15:00

My DS is 8 and i give him calcium supplements. He is CMP, fructose and sucrose intolerant. It's not prescribed as he is thriving, but i don't want him to have a lack of something he needs to grow healthily. Many multi vitamins/minerals are no good as they have derivatives from either dairy or fruit. I thought abidec had dairy derivatives? might be mistaken, but my other 2 DS are lactose intolerant and i remember not being able to use that.

strawberrycake Tue 28-Dec-10 10:24:54

No, the only slightly funny ingredient in abidec is peanut oil. Read and assured it's safe, but it sounds odd still.

simpson Tue 28-Dec-10 16:51:31

DD (3 next month) is also on neocate LCP.

mspotatochip - We tried her on neocate active and it did not agree with her either.

She also does not seem to tolerate the calcium supplement hmm

I feel we still have not got to the bottom of her intolerances (dairy,soya & oats) But we are at the hosp (again!) early Jan.

There is something in baked beans (well, the sauce I think..) that she cannot tolerate but she can have tomato based pasta sauce hmm

I just give her as many foods with calcium in atm ie green leafy veg, prawns and she loves sardines (although the smell when she burps after eating them makes me heave!!)

simpson Tue 28-Dec-10 16:52:52

Oh I forgot, I also give her a rusk a day which some people may not agree with because of the sugar but they have added calcium in them smile

Whelk Thu 30-Dec-10 21:32:27

My CMP allergic dd doesn't have any supplements but I make sure she has plenty of Neocate, soya yogurt, spinach (if can snaek it past her) and lot of sardines and mackerel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now