Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I am unconvinced by the results of ds's allergy tests

(10 Posts)
YunoYurbubson Thu 16-Dec-10 13:53:14

Ds is 2.8

He has always had terrible eczema.

We cut out dairy and his eczema improved massively for the first time in his life.

We took him for allergy testing.

I am told he is "very mildly allergic" to dairy, nuts, peanuts, strawberries and chocolate.

Doesn't that seem like a list of things people tend to be mildly allergic to anyway? I bet if you tested 20 people with no symptoms at all, lots of them would test positive for mild allergies to those things.

It doesn't seem enough of an explanation.

It's not that I WANT him to have allergies. It just doesn't add up. I feel like I am missing a piece of the puzzle.

The Dr is now talking about intolerance testing.

eragon Thu 16-Dec-10 14:09:49

what doctor?

a immunologist?

TheHeathenOfSuburbia Thu 16-Dec-10 14:15:22

Were these skin prick tests?

bruffin Thu 16-Dec-10 14:17:47

Who did the testing?

trixymalixy Thu 16-Dec-10 14:22:06

All allergy tests are just an indication, you can have false negatives and positives. The only way to be sure is to do a food challenge.

My SIL has an intolerance to dairy which makes her eczema flare up.

YunoYurbubson Thu 16-Dec-10 14:59:33

I'm not in UK, so not NHS.

The Dr is a paediatrician who was recommended to me by a friend.

It was a blood test.

I'm not sure where the tests were done. I had previously assumed they would be done on-site at the clinic, but it is something I will confirm when I go to collect the results (only spoke to the Paed on the phone today).

eragon Thu 16-Dec-10 17:11:29

if a blood test its a RAST test for lgE levels to certain foods.

if its a pead, ask what allergy training they may have etc.

a pead immunologist should be fairly easy to find outside uk.

as for the mild allergy status, i would question what that really means in real life.

peanut, is, reaction wise, quite unpredictable, you can have mild reactions, and one day have a severe one.
its a bit like saying you are only a little bit pregnant really.

so question the doc.

as for 'chocolate' i suppose this is chocolate bean? and are beans going to be a problem? 5% of peanut allergic are allergic to beans.

in young children a true strawberry allergy is fairly rare, as most young kids react to the histamine levels in overripe strawberrys, and this can be outgrown.

if all these allergies are considered 'mild' what has been the dietary advice given to you?

will your doc do skin prick tests as well, as the blood test, and history give a clearer idea of allergy status.

as for testing for food intolerances, if its for IgG, they are not often considered a relaible form of testing. For instance, a study on african children showed a high level of this in the blood, which would point to a peanut intolerance. but these children are weaned on to peanut and show not signs of any allergic/ intolerence conditions.

has this doc reviewed the ezcema treatments to check that they are free of any food allergens?

hope this is helpful, or at least gives you food for thought!

eragon Thu 16-Dec-10 17:13:50

oh, and forgot to add, if you have fruit allergies, it might be worth considering testing for environmental allergies.

multiple food peaple often have other allergies, and dustmite and pollen are the biggest triggers for ezcema .

eragon Thu 16-Dec-10 17:15:25

and another thing........

talk epi pens with doc!!

sorry, about so many posts, am trying to cook , watch kids etc at same time....

TheHeathenOfSuburbia Thu 16-Dec-10 17:24:37

On DD's allergy testing (skin prick), she came up as 'mildly allergic' to dairy. But the 'mild allergy' was still enough to bring her out in hives if she got a drop of milk on her skin... so it seems to me that a 'very mild' allergy could well cause a widespread reaction like eczema?

Second what eragon said about further tests, dust and pollen make my eczema go bananas. (although it does seem to come and go fairly randomly too)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: