Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Eczema since started weaning- a few questions for those with eczema experience

(4 Posts)
peapod2010 Tue 07-Dec-10 17:22:44

I'm sure my questions have been asked a million times before, so apologies in advance but I'm new to this problem and would appreciate some advice.

DD is nearly 8 mths and has had mild, but worsening, eczema signs since we started weaning at 6 mths. We went to the GP a few days ago and were prescribed Dermol lotion which I have started applying several times a day. My main question is how long do I keep using this before deciding it's not the solution for her and going back to the GP, as I understand it's often a case of trial and error before finding something that helps.

Secondly, I'm concerned that the starting time coincided with weaning so am suspicious food could be involved. She's always been FF so am guessing it won't be dairy related. We're doing BLW so introduced new foods entirely at random so, otherwise have no idea. I really don't want to start an exclusion diet as I've just gone back to work and she's with a variety of relatives at the moment so it would be rather complicated. Am I being a wimp to take such a lazy approach?

Any other advice gladly received smile

CuppaTeaJanice Tue 07-Dec-10 17:30:06

My DS had eczema at that age, and it disappeared by the time he was about 2. Afaik it's usually an age related condition rather than food related - we certainly never excluded anything from his diet. In other babies I've known with food allergies/intolerances, the reaction has manifested itself with sickness, runny stools, facial blotching, stomach pains etc rather than classic eczema - behind knees, in elbows etc.

peapod2010 Tue 07-Dec-10 18:16:22

Thank you! That's exactly the sort of reassurance I was hoping for. Think I've been reading too much about really badly affected babies and am hopefully worrying unnecessarily.

heliotrope Wed 08-Dec-10 09:43:57

So many things could exacerbate the eczema - my current fave theory for both my boys (3yr and 6mo) is the cold weather / central heating. My first developed it at the same time of year as a baby, age 4mo. Also I believe for some it is just a phase that they need to go through as the immune system develops - likely to settle at some point over next couple of years.
Anyway like you say it doesn't sound like there is any particular reason to suspect food. But if you are concerned, the first things to suspect might be wheat, eggs, and dairy, so could cut these out for a while if you want to check.

On the creams, it is true that different babies suit different creams. My first had bad eczema, weeping and infected, and had to have the thick epaderm ointment, but my second is milder and responds well to E45/Aveeno. I'm also a big fan of use of a small amount of steroid (hydrocortisone etc)to get something under control if needed, and then maintain it with moisturiser. (although it doesn't sound as though your lo's is that bad?). For some reason with my first I was terrified of using steroids on him, but he really did need them to get on top of the itching - it was really affecting his sleep / play and everything.

Hope she's better soon.x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now