Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

quick Q - can my CMP allergic ds have lactic acid?

(7 Posts)
stottiecake Tue 07-Dec-10 15:51:56

Just bought a chicken chausseur jar for a quickie tea - checked ingredients in shop and they include lactic acid - allergy advice doesn't mention milk, just celery.

What do you think?

everyonesatit Tue 07-Dec-10 16:59:57

My son has a CMP allergy and I've never been sure about this one. He's had Fruit Pastilles, which contain a small amount of lactic acid, and been fine. Also, he's been bathed in bubble bath containing it, with no reaction. He does react on contact to CMP and many other things.

So...not sure. I'd try a little bit and take it from there.

stottiecake Tue 07-Dec-10 20:34:39

Thanks for replying Everyone smile

I gave him a little and there has been no reaction so fingers crossed! I think you can get lactic acid from fruit too - it's all so confusing!!!!

everyonesatit Wed 08-Dec-10 09:30:16

It is, isn't it. Glad he was ok smile

babybarrister Wed 08-Dec-10 13:09:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

eskimomama Wed 08-Dec-10 14:18:50

Agree with babybarrister.
Found this on a vegetarian website if it can help:

"What about those ingredients that sound like they are from milk, such as lactic acid, lactose, and lactate?

If it's lactate or lactic acid, it's not from dairy (exception - sterol lactate due to the stearic acid). "Lac" ingredients are usually produced by a fermentation process using cornstarch or beet sugar. Lactose is always from dairy. Most ingredients made with with calcium are vegan (i.e. calcium carbonate, calcium phosphate, calcium sulfate). The exceptions are calcium caseinate and calcium stearate. Drink up the calcium fortified o.j. - it's vegan! "

stottiecake Wed 08-Dec-10 21:00:57

Brilliant!! Thanks so much - that's really helpful!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: