Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

baby constipation - allergy?

(12 Posts)
sleepywombat Mon 29-Nov-10 03:15:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ppeatfruit Mon 29-Nov-10 13:23:44

Do you give him wheat in any form? that is known to give constipation, it could be avocado I folllow the blood type diet and type ABs and Bs shouldn't eat them.

sleepywombat Wed 01-Dec-10 00:18:25

ppeatfruit Wed 01-Dec-10 12:22:08

Have you checked the formula? It could be that, poor little fella.

ppeatfruit Wed 01-Dec-10 12:26:26

Or yr own diet ?If you try cutting wheat from everything it may be the answer .You can buy good rye bread from waitrose.

lukewarmcupofmulledwine Wed 01-Dec-10 19:48:36

A friend had this problem with their baby (chronic constipation) and it was a wheat allergy. Cutting out all wheat plus double doses of lactulose and prune juice etc helped, and she grew out of it by around 16 months. You'd be surprised how much wheat is in stuff (in sauces etc), if it is an allergy then you need to cut it all out, start reading the labels etc.

It does sound likely its something in the diet - I would start a food and symptom diary so you can start to see a pattern. Then maybe cut out one thing at a time for a couple of weeks to see if there is any improvement. It sounds like something you should be talking to your paed about though tbh, or getting a second opinion.

lukewarmcupofmulledwine Wed 01-Dec-10 19:50:06

Oh - just seen you're still bf as well - it definitely goes through the bm, so you would need to look at eliminating food from your own diet as well.

ppeatfruit Thu 02-Dec-10 11:14:56

Er yes as i said lukewarm!

lukewarmcupofmulledwine Thu 02-Dec-10 11:40:40

Sorry, wasn't aware we weren't allowed to say the same as another poster. That rules out most of AIBU for a start wink

sleepywombat Fri 03-Dec-10 00:41:19

lukewarmcupofmulledwine Fri 03-Dec-10 06:57:52

Sorry to hear he's still in such pain sad. It sounds like it could be any one of a number of things, complicated by the fact that reflux is often linked to allergies as well, a food diary is a good way to start making sense of it. I wouldn't be scared of laxatives though, you can only start to sort the problem when the pain is taken away.

This book here has a great table of natural and medical laxatives, plus lots of helpful advice (even if you're not using it for potty training issues like I was!). So even if the gp can only give you something short term before you see the paed again, it all helps. Good luck in getting this sorted soon.

lukewarmcupofmulledwine Fri 03-Dec-10 07:00:04

Nb if he is on nutramigen, that still has some milk traces in it, and some people get on better with neocate (although the nutramigen was tolerated by my severly milk allergic daughter!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now